Weck Sextoblade review

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by vinthechin12, Feb 9, 2013.

1. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

Reloading: very simple, just slide in a blade. Not much can go wrong here.

Construction: Very well built and at 90 years old, it looks new. They are selling for 15 dollars online and this razor will last a lifetime.

Who would buy it: collectors, beginners, or history buffs. This razor has historical significance in WWii I believe. A version with metal scales were issued to troops and doctors for shaving and medical prep.

Weight: 47g

Balance: Because the plastic scales are sturdy, it does not throw off the balance. The scales are pretty much as heavy as a light metal. They are also very thick, so if it is dropped it most likely will survive the fall.

Flaws: Loading and unloading require a firm amount of pressure to slide the blade. As long as you are careful, it is safe.

Overall: 9/10. The only reason it is not a 10 is because the scales are plastic. But there are versions with metal scales.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

youngunn, Ryan B, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looks nice! How is the shave experience?

3. vinthechin12

Very close shave in 2 passes WTG and XTG. Ryan gave it to me :)

macaronus likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What type of blade do you use for shaving? Do you always used the guard to shave? Can the Weck be used without the guard? :)

5. vinthechin12

I did not like the guard and did not use it. It did not allow for a close shave. Personna hair shaper blades, not personna mini.

PLANofMAN and 178-bplatoon like this.
  6. Wullie

Wullie Member

I was given one of those. Mine is boxed and has holders for the blades for the days of the week.

I bought a set of old SEXTO Blades off ebay, but have yet to get up the nerve to shave with it.

They are remarkably well made. Weck is still in business, but they make medical stuff nowadays.

I also have an old Edward Weck jack knife somewhere in my stash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I figure it was made in the 1920's or thereabouts.

PLANofMAN, Ryan B and macaronus like this.
  7. vinthechin12

I saw those on eBay. They looked pretty cool and I thought about buying them for camping. Then I decided against it because you need a clean knife for camp in case you have to take out a splinter or something.

EDIT: there is not need to work up the nerve to shave with it, i have only cut myself twice since straight shaving. There is a guard on it that you can use and YOLO.

macaronus likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thanks alot for the info vinthechin12. I hope my Weck Bantam comes soon so I can give it a try.In the mean time I'll have to try and find some Personna shaper blades,hopefully local....:)

9. Wullie

Wullie Member

Problem is that I REALLY like using BIG IRON to shave with.
    With 8/8 or larger blades.
    [​IMG]

Got several ( a LOT in fact and way too many according to my wife) from 5/8 up, but the old Sheffield wedgies seem to work best for me.

I may fire up that Weck one of these days and see how she runs.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. vinthechin12

You can never have too many. I do prefer my real straight over everything else but the weck is a time saver and it is the closer to a straight than my Parker. It is a good alternative if you want to save time or don't want to ho e and strop. I found learning to sharpen the razor fun. The first time i tried to shave after honing It was nowhere near the sharpness I needed and it was still the sharpest piece of metal I owned. Then after I did get it sharp enough I felt a sense of accomplishment.

178-bplatoon and macaronus like this.
  11. Wullie

Wullie Member

I agree with you. The first razor I honed and stropped and FINALLY got a decent shave was quite an accomplishment for me too. I still shave with that razor occasionally, it still ahs the edge I first put on it. My honing skills have increased a LOT since that one and my hones are far better than the old AHCONITE 2 sided barbers hone that I used. It still gives a good ( not great ) shave and I use it every now and then just for fun and to remind myself from whence I started.

macaronus likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The handles are actually a type of early plastic that was made by using alternating layers of linen and epoxy. Bakelite. From Wikipedia: "Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic. When rubbed or burnt, Bakelite has a distinctive acrid odor." You can see the layers on the Sextoblade's handle. This particular color was used because the color and the pattern looked similar to elephant ivory.

I have a set with the metal scales. There were actually two types made. One was the Weck "Bantam" and the other has the medical caduceus on it, along with the letters "U.S." and was military issue for surgical prep during the Korean and Vietnam War era.

13. vinthechin12

I had a feeling it was Bakelite but was not sure of it so I didn't put it in the review. I have never seen Bakelite in person so I did not want to spread false information. It is still very well built

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You still enjoying the Weck, or have you switched to the straight razor by now?

15. vinthechin12

I go back and forth, the weck is less maintenence

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Do you ever strop your hair shaper blades? I tried strop one and the next shave was off. The razor was jumping a lot, felt rough against my skin. Didn't know if this was just my findings or not. I guess it could of been a poor lather.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Stropping the Personna stainless blades is generally a waste of time. The old Weck carbon blades can be stropped, and indeed, they even sold strops specifically for the Weck. You can find them on eBay for $15-20. There's usually several up for sale at any one time.

18. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Roger that

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. HomerTorres

HomerTorres New Member

Thank for the idea!

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I used one of these with the guard, as a teaching aid, before I started with straights. I’ve used it one or twice since then, without the guard, man those blades are sharp. I think you have to be more careful with them, than a straight.

Jayaruh likes this.