Weishi 9306 Extra Long

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I am noticing that there is a new variant of the Weishi razor that has appeared online with a "L" designation after the model number. I was looking at the 9306c in Mithril when I came across it. Having never used a Weishi (yet), do you think the extra length would make a noticeable difference? The original is listed at 3.5 inches (or 88 mm) and 55 grams, so the extra 20 gram weight may make a difference in shave technique and letting the razor work for you. It is only a few dollars more or less depending on the vendor and comes in a paper box with no travel case. This is an issue with me as the case was the main reason i was looking at the 9306. It seems to get good reviews in the forums and wouldn't be a razor I would mind losing but the extra weight intrigues me.

upload_2015-1-13_10-50-47.png

upload_2015-1-13_10-49-18.png

upload_2015-1-13_10-49-50.png

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thanks for posting..those long handles look interesting. The LH option is most probably suited to those that like a longer razor reach. I've seen them selling on Ali Baba for 10 bucks. Though the quality has improved in the Weishi's over time, I still wonder about longevity. There have been reports of the turning action becoming rough after a few months and so on. Still maybe the Weish's getting past all that too...

GDCarrington and Misphit like this.
  3. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Some people will tell you that weight/length of handle makes a difference in the shave, and some will not. I have found that a longer or heavier handle will make a difference in how the razor handles, which may make a difference in how it shaves, depending on the individual. But I have not experienced anything other than a change in the handling characteristics, personally.
    For instance, I have a Black Handled Super Speed(short handle) and a Lady Gillette(long handle), which is basically just a Super Speed with a long handle. It shaves about like one, too. Don't see a huge, significant difference between them. But I like how the longer handle makes the razor feel in my hand.

GDCarrington and Misphit like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have seen these as well. Interesting variation for Weishi without having to have a complete redesign. I have the 9306 and I think the difference would be easier maneuvering and precision rather than than a radical change in the aggressiveness.

Misphit and SRNewb like this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Interesting....

the word "cuprum" is shown in the description.
    I wonder what the chances are that this razor is base metal copper? (or some alloy?)

I like longer handles now.
    I was loaned a Weber with the classic handle some weeks back.
    At first it seemed much too long, but after a few shaves I found myself liking it
    so I bought one. The longer handle is nice when shaving the neck area.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Weishi just got back into the game! That gunmetal long handle is a nice looking razor. :happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

According to an amazon description:
    • Made of chrome-plated copper alloy (i.e. brass)

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Interesting razor. I wonder how I'd like it compared to a short handle.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Is mithril chrome here. I know someone translated the weishi metal types to non-middle-earth English, but I can't recall.

I do like the gunmetal look

10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I posted that in the Weishi thread.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I doubt the longer handle will improve the razor, but it might work out for you! :)