Weshi?! Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to try a Weishi, but didn't want to pay $12-$16 for one.

So, I won one on the Bay for 99 cents plus $3.50 shipping. So I felt good about my $4.50 investment for a test run.

Loaded up a 4 day old Gillette Silver Blue, lathered up with some Williams, and proceeded with my first pass.

Long story short - after 2 passes and a few touch ups, this razor performs WAY above its price tag!!!!

Keep in mind, I am a fan of mild razors - so those of you who need more aggression will be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

But I can't believe how well this little razor performed. Reminds me of my ASD2 - albeit much lighter and not nearly as quality a piece.

After all is said and done - sure, the handle base piece rattles a bit and it feels like a toy compared to my Gillettes. But I will forever Keep a Weishi in my rotation from here on out. It will be my daily driver for the next week.

Kudos, Weishi. You put out a great razor.

P.S. Is this aluminum? IMG_2907.JPG

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SS clone. Good razor!

sdguero, Knox and RyX like this.
  3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yup, shaves way above it's price point. So does the Feather Popular. And Fatips. And RazoRock Old Type. And Merkur 1904 and 25C.

FranklinFurter, sdguero and Knox like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The weishi is a good little razor. I have the VDH branded version. It's the razor that started me down the DE, SE, injector and SR path three years back. I still use the weishi from time to time.

RetLEO-07, FranklinFurter and sdguero like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sounds like a perfect travel razor! Low price, so no tears if lost in travels. :happy096:

Jim99 and sdguero like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

The weishi was my first de razor and it’s fantastic.

sdguero likes this.
  7. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Same here, i.e. the Weishi made VDH TTO. Excellent intro into DE shaving.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have not tried the long handle version of it yet, but I assume the razor head is the same as the short handle.

I don't believe they use any aluminum on this razor, but I'll check.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Does Weishi make a 3 piece?

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I believe they are "copper alloy" aka brass

Knox likes this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

12. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Thanks!

13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Weishi.............too mild for my tough beard. I'd need to do at least five passes to get a DFS. BBS is almost out of the question. It's a decent razor, though.

sdguero, Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  14. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

That was my experience as well (the VDH). I believe the Weishi has a brass frame. If a brass razor is profitable at this price, then shame on Merkur et al and their Zamak.

sdguero, Knox, Yehuda D and 1 other person like this.
  15. jar

jar Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with Zamak; Gillette started using Zamak heads around the time of the Korean War and many are still in use today and looking far better than those that were made all brass.

edited to change comma to hemi demi semi-quaver thingie

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    sdguero and Jim99 like this.
  16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

My beard is medium, and my neck is very sensitive. I actually like the Weishi more than my beloved Blue Tip Super Speed. Never imagined that would happen when I ordered it.

I have already ordered another in Gunmetal. :-D

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

sdguero, Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I still have my VDH in my vanity.
    My journey also started with this razor and Wilkinson Sword blades.

19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Ok- I am a full fledged Weishi fan now. This black one is gorgeous! $16 for a brass razor that shaves like a Blue Tip SS? It's a no brainer.

My wife threatened to take this one from me and learn to use it because she likes the way it looks so much IMG_2963.jpg

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice. Where did you get that?

Linuxguile likes this.