Wet or dry, why?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by tuxxdk, Jun 4, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

'ello

What do you do, and more importantly, why? I mean with after shave splash/balm.

Do you apply to a wet, damp or dry face?

I know it might be a big YMMV, but is there a method considered the right one and why?

Personally I dry my face lightly until it's almost dry, then I apply my product. I do that because I don't see any upsides to a wet face. Somehow I figure it will dillute the product, but I dunno?

What's the gain with applying to a wet face?

2. Governa

Governa New Member

I do it exactly the same way as you.

3. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I do damp for splash and dry for balm...Seems like I use less product (splash) when face is slightly damp.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Per the method you described in your routine, I likewise lightly towel-dry before slapping on any post-shave product. My rational for doing so is to further remove any potential soapy residue still present in the water, and allow for a 'dry' skin surface for product absorption. Next in the sequence (post towel-off) is a light application of a slightly astringent aftershave (my current favorite is 4711), followed by a generous balm application to ensure good moisturizing and skin healing.

Perhaps the thinking here is the present water provides a more efficient course for product dispersion on the face. If water is good for keeping the face feeling moist, why towel off?

5. tuxxdk

Interesting views.

So the wet face does nothing positive for the effect of the product besides maybe using less?

I've read on many places online that an after shave is applied to a wet face, like it's a rule that must be followed for product to work as intended. But it seems it's not the case.

6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing. Lately, I've been applying aftershave to a dry face, and it feels great.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Dry for me. As for rules, the only rule is...
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Leo K. and tuxxdk like this.
  8. tuxxdk

I knew you'd say that, Swarden43 :) haha. But of course, I agree.

But then why does misc. guides tell you to apply it to a wet face? There's even a guide here on the board that advices so, without explaining why.

I'm the kind of guy you can make do everything, as long as there's a logick and reasoning behind. Hence my post - I'm curious to why.

9. swarden43

To be honest, I've never seen anywhere about applying aftershave lotion or balm to a wet face.

10. tuxxdk

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another possible reason for applying aftershave to a 'wet' face is to dilute the intensity of the product—reduce the 'sting' or 'burn' inherent in alcohol-based post-shave products. Some folks who desire the burn, for them I can see the appeal of applying the product to a semi-dry face. For those who enjoy the 'tingle' and not the harsher burn, a wet face may help achieve that goal.

ohpaos and tuxxdk like this.
  12. tuxxdk

But doesn't diluting that product makes it less effective? I mean, if it's the alcohol one cannot take, maybe it's a good excuse to find one without alcohol?

13. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ditto.

14. swarden43

Well there you go, because they say so.

NOT! I'm still going to dry my face first.

ohpaos likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

Nope, without a reason I'll not abide :)

ohpaos likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Heres my routine..
    After my shave I apply Nivea postshave balm after completely washing the soap residue from my face,so I appy it to a damp face. I find I need to use very,very little Nivea doing that and I feel applying it to a damp face helps hold moisture to my face. Then I allow my face to air dry as I police up the vanity,when thats done I'll apply my splash of the day...In order to minimize alcohol burn after I rub the alcohol in my hands I fan them a few seconds before application..As a final step I'll rub a little baby powder in my palms and apply it to my face "FEELS GREAT"......:)

Leo K. and ohpaos like this.
  17. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

HR & 178-bplatoon are spot on. :) While alum requires wetting prior to use, there is absolutely nothing wrong with applying aftershave on a drier face. However, traditional recs have been along these lines:
    1) pour a teaspoon of AS into palm
    2) rub palms together for 1-2 sec
    3) hold palms apart for 2-3 sec
    4) apply to damp face in blah blah motion...

Why the big ritual? To allow enough alcohol to evaporate so that the user may benefit from the fragrance, emollients & antiseptic with minimal discomfort. The amount of alcohol per "splash" far exceeds that which is needed for antiseptic skin benefits. The relatively high alcohol content is because alcohol also serves as a solvent for the fragrance, as well as an inexpensive preservative (historically).

While the emphasis for aftershaves in recent decades has been on skin care & scent, the antiseptic property of AS was very important in the past (RIP Lord Carnarvon :(). I suspect that the alcohol content of AS "back in the day" was far greater than it is now, making the palm-rub-wet face ritual more critical to enjoying a scream-free post-shave :D. After all, if it were too painful, most men would've skipped the step...

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I normally apply to a damp face. After shaving I wipe my face with a towel to catch any residual lather. Then I rinse apply alum. While that is drying down a bit, I normally wash the brush out and put the kit away. By this time my face is damp and grab the bottle of aftershave and apply. It just works for me.

19. tuxxdk

See, ohpaos, now you've done it again :cool: You're like an encyclopedia (that's the old Wikipedia for you younger folks :D )

I understand now why wet is recommended and I can now make a better judgement of how, when and why, instead of just accepting "apply to wet face" without knowing why. From my newfound knowledge I'll not alter my usage of after shave. I have no problem with the alcohol, so it's not a problem. Should I run into a harsher after shave I now know how to solve the stinging.

Thanks to all of you!

ohpaos likes this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

+1 for ohpaos :happy088:
    Have you ever tried Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum tuxxdk? Thats the burn test for me, definately lets me know if I've overshaved an area of my face...If you overdo your shave, this stuff "WILL" let you know it, it's like liquid napalm,wet or dry....:)