Wet Shaving and Anxiety.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Wet shaving over these last 6+ has really helped me in more ways than just facial skin care. I've always had moderate anxiety issues and was on medication for quite some time. Never anything too severe, but it was always present and it did negatively impact my life at various points. I tried the usual steps the therapists tell you - meditate, change of diet, exercise, etc. They all worked to a varying degree, but didn't quite do it for me.

Then, I discovered wet shaving. I had gotten so tired of horrible shaves that I finally decided to do a little internet research and began my journey. After the first shave, I was hooked. There was something about taking 20-30 minutes of the day getting my shave prep done, creating lather, and the whole ritualistic aspect of it, that I found so soothing. I get to zone out in my own little world warm of warm lathers, scents, and total concentration. After my shave, I'm in a total zen-like state. I'm completely calm, feel great, and just generally happier over all. The after glow effect lasts the rest of the day and night too.

It's almost as if wet shaving has become my own personal meditation - I almost lose myself in it. I know if I break concentration, I'll pay for it with a weeper or cut. It is a wonderful way of disciplining your mind. I genuinely look forward to my shaves at the end of the day now as a great way to unwind and relax.

Thought I'd share my take on wet shaving. Anyone else have any similar experiences? :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Pretty much. It's my quiet time. It relaxes me and helps me to reset. Just having to take a few minutes to focus intently on one thing, to be attentive to something, is a breath of fresh air from the constant business of the day and having to divide attention between 100 things.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Since I have to shave for work, the 20 minutes I take in the morning to shave really sets the tone for the day.
    Sunday is really the day I look forward to. Start of a new shave week, new blade, and razor. Three pass shave with all the pre and post trimmings. Yup it's all good.

Spyder and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

wait a minute! Are you shaving every day or skipping a few?
    I tend to shave every day and have so far only had a blade last about 5 days - pushing it. If you do every day and get a blade to last a week, I am jealous.

I need 2 blades to get through a week.

Either that or everyone will know where the Sasquatch went!!

Here is a vacation photo where I skipped a day shaving:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Demidog, Spyder, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I am a bit more of a bast... bad man.

I too try to use the time to zone out until my wife and daughter start fighting. One time I got a good cut so I blamed their bickering and now they remain nice and quiet during my shaves. I sometime go extra slow to really enjoy the moment but don't tell anyone I said so :)

Spyder, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I enjoy my morning shaves. I find that when I wake, I start thinking about which razor and soap I will be using today. I spend about 20 minutes each morning with my routine. It is a good start to the day.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Peaceful wet-shave = quality 'down time' that helps me unwind in the evening or gets me focused and alert in the mornings.

PickledNorthern, Spyder, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

I shave Sunday to Friday. Saturday is a no shave day. Sunday is changeover day. I have a 3 razor rotation: 1) NEW SC/GSB 2) '71 Super Adjustable 109/Voskhod 3) EJ DE89bl/Shark Super Chrome. Looking to add a fourth once fleamarket season starts.
    Come April I'll be doing a 30 Day Focus to audition blades for the Gillette Travel Razor I won in the raffle.

9. RetLEO-07

+1

10. RetLEO-07

+1 on the morning shave!

11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Since I have to get up at 0430, I shower/shave each evening to save my morning "me" time for coffee (my other passion). This way, I pretty much spend as much time as I want (usually averaging 20 minutes) shaving. I'm back up to 26 razors and a wide variety of double & single edge blades & injectors, and a half-dozen or so soaps & creams, so I have time to pick & choose my SOTN.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

+1 In fact I'll often do a second evening shave simply to reduce stress. Definitely a meditative experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I absolutely find my shaving time is my own form of meditation. I use straights mainly, and a lot can go wrong quickly if you lose focus. Stropping, honing, and shaving all require enough focus that I have to shut off the inner voices and stay with what I am doing. The scents and reacting to the feeling of the blade on my face focus me, and my post shave routine gets me ready for the day. I only get to shave 3-4 times a week at most, so I enjoy it a lot.

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I love my morning shaving ritual. I find it a very relaxing way to start my day. So much so that I will even get up early on days that I have an early flight. I'd rather shave at 4:00am than skip it.

15. brit

brit in a box

definitely part of my stress relief.i shave in the evenings every 2-3 days,get to play with my vintage razors and goodies.i still get anxious when i am waiting for stuff to show up in the mail.the downside to online shopping...

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm glad it provides some relaxation, as well as a good shave for some of you. We all need a way to unwind. (My husband feels just that way about archery.)

17. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I'm glad others feel the same! It honestly does wonders for my anxiety issues. I relate wet shaving to someone using tending their Japanese Zen Rock Garden or an artist who deeply involved in his craft. It is their time to turn off their minds and just be one with their task at hand. No distractions, no running thoughts - only pure peace and relaxation. Can't wait for my shave tonight. :)

brit likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No matter how bad a night is or how long the day, a good shave sorts it out. Noone bothers me at shave time. Well not more then once.

Legend In My Spare Time and brit like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I shave nightly with open blades in order to zone out and relax my mind. It's a zone activity of the highest order.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried meditation and I failed miserable. Shaving has brought a calm to me and a chance to escape my stress. When I shave with a straight it requires my full attention and in that moment my stressors are all gone, just me, the lather and some sharp steel.

RyX, mrchick and brit like this.