What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am rereading Aldous Huxley's "Brave new world".

2. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Just finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Great book! It's getting harder and harder to find any new fiction that appeals to me, but this was great. Technically, I guess it's Science Fiction, but no Aliens, just some quantum theory being part a major part of the plot line. Can't say I've had a book I couldn't put down like this one in a long time.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Since I'm heading back to Maine in May to continue some family ancestry work - I thought I would read another book on the history of the Maine coast. Just started it. Some tough people back then. The first of my family settled along that remote coast in 1633.
    [​IMG]

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I was reading about Noxville. Might have to head that way sometime.

5. David W650

David W650 Active Member

INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE by Anne Rice

Now I know how to kill a vampire.

Have him or her read this dreadful book!

dustmite likes this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Tried that years ago at the request of my wife. Made it to a two page description of the colors in a bit of paisley and decided it wasn't for me...

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So how is it? We're going up next month.

I'm reading "Below Zero" by C. J. Box.

8. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Just finishing Lee Child's latest Reacher novel, Night School. Reliably entertaining as usual if you like the series. This one goes back in time when he is still an MP.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I recently started the M’Cheyne Bible Reading Plan. In one year, it will allow me to read the Old Testament once, and the New Testament and Psalms twice.

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Its really an excellent book, if you are into the history of how the Maine coast was settled and developed. However the end of the book it lays out how - like you see elsewhere in the country - the Maine coast is changing with much of the shoreline itself going to the highest bidder (mostly residential/commercial) and many of the smaller communities are losing their history and culture.

Where about are you going next month? I'll be there for about a week - May 17-22. I plan on stopping in Kittery and visiting where my first ancestor lived after being granted land in 1633. Then I'll head up to Vinalhaven Island to do some more family history research. My ancestors go back to the early 1700s there. I may try to spend a night at Old Orchard beach as well. That's where my parents took us every summer for the obligatory vacation. A great beach - the last sandy one before hitting the real rocky coast. Trying to do all this before the tourist season starts.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I rereading The Great War series by Harry Turtledove. I'm on the second book, Walk in Hell.

For those who don't know Turtledove, he does alternate history. The Great War sees WWI on American soil, as the USA and CSA go at each other (USA sides with Germany, CSA with Britain/France). It is a great series. Turtledove is my favorite author.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

We always stop at the Kittery Trading Post to stretch and shop around.
    95 up to Agusta, 3 over to Belfast, 1 up to Columbia Falls ('bout an hour up from Ellsworth). My folks are in Addison, three miles off Rt 1.

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

14. brit

brit in a box

henry ford. the men and the machine.

15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Mostly just reading instructional on Coticule honing and my obsession with shaving gear, soaps and that stuff in general.

16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I often would visit my grandmother (father's side) in Surry, just south of Ellsworth. That whole area is great.

swarden43 likes this.
  17. David W650

David W650 Active Member

STIFF, The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Roach is a writer who has no formal science background yet writes books about science. To get understanding about her and why she would write a book about human cadavers I would suggest doing a wiki search first.

To say this book is interesting is an understatement. Roach to her credit write about this subject in a respectful and sometimes funny way.

18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Reading up on autism since 3 of my 4 children are on the spectrum. Explains a lot but it's dry reading when you don't have a doctorate...

19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Just finished "A. Lincoln" by Ronald C. White. Terrific book. Not too dense or academic. It doesn't delve too much into Lincoln's home life, and certainly skips the stormy relationship with Mary Lincoln, but as an overall biography is tremendously worthy. Highly recommended.

upload_2017-3-29_11-13-44.jpeg

Attached Files: