What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I listen to audiobooks on my commute to and from work. I listened to this book a couple of weeks back. It was terrific.

Right now on my commute I'm listening to Hero of the Empire by Candice Millard, about Churchill's capture and escape in the Boer War. Pretty interesting.

mrchick likes this.
  2. PLAla

For my reading at home I recently finished Grant Takes Command by Bruce Catton and started Gunfire Around The Gulf by Jack Coombs. The Coombs book is a history of naval warfare in the Civil War with more time spent on the action in the Gulf of Mexico, particularly New Orleans, Mobile, and Pensacola. Good book so far.

Bobcat likes this.
  3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Just started The Ideal Team Player by Patrick Lencioni. Working on a promotion at work sanding off some rough edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Louis L'Amour Bendigo Shafter

Bobcat likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

My dad used to call reading Westerns "studying for Gunners Mate". :)

swarden43 likes this.
  6. PLAla

Listening to the new David McCullough book on audio right now. This is a compilation of speeches he has given over the last 20 years or so. Great stuff - I've always enjoyed his writing and have read most of his books.

upload_2017-9-7_7-20-49.png

I'm also reading "Singing the New Nation" by Lawrence Abel in hardback. This is a book about music, music publishing, military bands, and other aspects of music and entertainment during the Civil War. Very interesting to me as a music educator.

Bobcat likes this.
  7. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Finished my third book by Patricia Highsmith which was originally titled, "The Price of Salt". It was renamed to "Carol" and was made into a movie last year.
    It is a story of two women in the late 1950s America falling in love with each other.

I must admit I didn't think I would like the book or the movie but I was pleasantly surprised. Both the book and the movie were tastefully done.

dustmite and PLAla like this.
  8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite books have been one's I didn't think I'd like.

PLAla likes this.
  9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Finally finished In Cold Blood after 8 months. Just started the 592 page Keith Moon biography, Moon, The Life and Death of a Rock Legend. This book will probably take me 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PLAla and dustmite like this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I stumbled upon a "book series" on Reddit a while back. It started as a writing promt where the poster describes a scenario and invites writers to submit their take on it.

This guy turned this prompt into four books published on Reddit for free. It is one of the best sci fi books I have ever read.

The plot is that Earth is an abandoned colony of an ancient human empire. One day hundreds of giant saucers orbit the planet with the intent to bring us back into the empire.

Its a story that has elements you may recognize from known sci fi franschises, but used in a way that makes this story unique, refreshing and a darn good read. If you enjoy sci fi, you will enjoy this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Koyoteelau...toan_earth_the_saga_begins_table_of_contents/

No I do not know this dude. I just want to spread the love :)

PLAla likes this.
  11. polishaver

polishaver Well-Known Member

I've been on a Dan Brown streak lately , currently reading Deception Point.

Bobcat and PLAla like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Good Book.

wristwatchb, Bobcat, TheFiveO and 2 others like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Do you have or follow a reading plan? Or just whatever you feel prompted to read?
    "Our Daily Bread" is not only a daily devotional, but it also has a daily plan to read through the Bible in a year. I do best with a structured plan, and have done so several times.

wristwatchb, PLAla and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use the a Bible app and right now I'm reading forgiveness, courage and finding comfort in pain.
    I do best with a structured plan, but I do enjoy reading scripture that will help me out through my daily struggles.

15. PLAla

Physical reading: Finished up my current book and moving ahead to The General Vs. The President by H.W. Brands.

upload_2017-9-11_12-31-13.jpeg

Audiobook listening: Finished The American Spirit by David McCullough. Short book but interesting collection of speeches. Some great stuff in there. Recommend it highly.
    upload_2017-9-11_12-33-59.png

Moving on to Clouds of Glory by Michael Korda for my next audiobook.
    upload_2017-9-11_12-35-5.jpeg

Happy reading everyone!

Bobcat and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

I read the Lee bio last year. Great book!

PLAla likes this.
  17. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I am currently reading a book called "I'll Push You".

It's an autobiography by two guys who have been best friends since elementary school. The two of them decide to walk the 500 mile pilgrimage Camino de Santiago trail in Spain. Issue is, one of them is wheelchair bound due to a degenerative condition similar to ALS.

It is soon to be a movie and I recommend if you have a chance to see it (limited release) do so!

The story is so touching and shows true intimacy that can exist between people when stripped to their very core

images.jpg

Here is the YouTube trailer

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    RetLEO-07 and PLAla like this.
  18. David W650

David W650 Active Member

GOD IS NOT GREAT by Christopher Hitchens

PLAla likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

Lexicon Devil and PLAla like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

Just saw that Jerry Pournelle passed away Friday:(
    :sick002:
    Read both "Lucifer's Hammer"
    and "The Mote in God's Eye" when I was a young 'un.