What blade is the WORST for you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Flying Eagle, horrible (for me) Chinese blades.

Edit; no, actually Treets were worse.

Matt0210 and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I can't pick just one.

-Shark Super Stainless
    -Shark Super Chrome
    -Personna red
    -Vijay Stainless

Yes, you can get an acceptable shave out of any blade but that doesn't mean that there aren't good blades and bad blades. The Vijays were so dull that they were like shaving with cardboard but I was still able to get an acceptable shave out of them. They were just extremely uncomfortable and speaking of rusty beer cans, that's exactly how I would describe the Personna red. I really don't think that any amount of technique will turn a bad blade into a good one.

AGHisBBS, Matt0210 and Col C like this.
  3. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Here are some of my blades that I have tried. Most are very good to excellent. Some are just pretty good.

One does stand out as the winner of this thread for me. Tiger (second from bottom, second from left). When I used the Tiger, after two painful strokes, I told myself that I was determined to finish the shave. After the right cheek, I lost that determination. I set it aside and finished with another blade. It is the only time I gave up on a blade without finishing the shave.

They are pretty cool though, with three holes and a snazzy package. I figured I would sharpen and hone them and see how they turned out. I have yet to do so. Maybe someday.

On a positive note, Kai is my top blade and Gillette Silver Blue is up there too. They are both consistently excellent. For me they are clearly preferable to the rest.

IMG_0793 (1).jpg

ninjack and Matt0210 like this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just finished testing 30 different blades. Now - seeing the inventory that you tested - there are still a lot of blades out there that I have not tried.

Drawer and Matt0210 like this.
  5. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard of your experiment from your other posts. I am looking forward to seeing your conclusion.

I have stopped trying new ones. There are just too many. At first it was to find a "really good one" it turns out that as time went by my technique improved to the point where the blade doesn't matter all that much. There are many that are just fine.

@NCoxSTL has been doing a really nice write up on different blades he tries.

NCoxSTL and Matt0210 like this.
  6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have my ranking and need to take a photo similar to yours with the blades lined up in priority order. Watching a lot of football today while sitting here at the computer - I'll try to have a post on my ranking later today or tomorrow.

Drawer and Matt0210 like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Derby Extra is the world worth blade

Matt0210 likes this.
  8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Derby, Dorco and Sharp. All three are about equally bad.

Matt0210 likes this.
  9. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

Van Der Hagen is the worst hands down. Their razors are great, but throw out the blades. Too bad because they are supposed to be German made.

10. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I tried those and didn't like them either.

11. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I believe there are two types, red and blue. One is made in Israel, not sure about the other. One is really good, the other not good.

Matt0210 likes this.
  12. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I got a sample Merkur with the two Merkur razors I bought. For me, they were the best blade I tried but too expensive compared to Astra's.

Matt0210 likes this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

There are a number of Personna blades. The reds are made in Israel - I do not care for them. They also make a blade called Crystal - don't care for them either. Then there are the Personna Lab Blues. They are excellent and made in the USA.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Matt0210 likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Astra green, Derby and VDH. The VDH tore me up.
    Feather also are not something I'd use either. In all four of my blade Focus shaves they have been underwhelming.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Matt0210 likes this.
  15. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Bic Chrome Platinum, Derby Extra Stainless and Baili Super Blue in descending order.

Fas est et ab hoste docari

Matt0210 likes this.
  16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have not tried every blade, esp now as I use mainly a straight razor, but of the main known brands, Voskhod just dont do it for me and same with Polsilver. always YMMV item and I am sure my selection proves that.

Astra and Rapira are my 2 blades of choice must have over 400 blades mainly made up of those 2 bands.

Matt0210 likes this.
  17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Feather blades

BigMike and Matt0210 like this.
  18. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I don't care for Shark blades myself. Can't get a good shave with them. Merkur blades don't shave me very well either.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

BigMike likes this.
  20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I don't like Bic, Crystal, Sharks, Dorco, Merkur

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk