What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kevin K, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

I found this razor in a thrift store.

It's a Merkur slant in a chrome box.

The razor is a 2 piece that unscrews by turning the bottom. It has the markings :Merkur", "Germany - Solingen", and the Merkur "head" symbol around the end of the handle. the handle and twist part seem to be tarnished or matte, while the head and bands of the handle are polished, There is also the number 1 on the underside if the top plate.

The box appears to be chrome plated and looks similar to pictures of Merkur boxes from the 1950's, The box itself is marked with "Made In Western Germany" in a circular pattern on the bottom.

It also came with a cheapie plastic blade holder and 4 Merkur blades that look new in brown wax paper. they say "Merkur Super" and "Platinum"

Can someone give me a clue to what this is? A modern razor in an old box? An old razor in an old box? From what time frame?

Whatever it is, I'm keeping it cause I've wanted a slant razor and for $8 it seems like a really good deal.

Thanks,
    Kevin

boz.JPG
    boxnrazor.JPG

razor.JPG

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Great find and an amazing price, the vintage slants in case in that kinda condition are much sought after. Ive been after a slant for awhile now.

3. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Definitely cool.

5. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

That is a vintage slant in a vintage case. If you are unsure of a slant I will gladly take it off your hands:happy097: Great score:happy096:

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: on your find and especially the price!!:happy088: Both razor and case appear to be in excellent condition....:) Is it a 37C with the 3" handle?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

$8 - you stole it! Great score.

8. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Great score! Congratulations!

9. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Nice find!

10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Nice find!

11. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I would love to find something like that in the wild. So much more exciting than the ebay.

12. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

+1. That is a fantastic find. I really like using my 37C.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'd say you got your money's worth on that purchase! ;)

14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Very very nice find and the price is amazing. I agree with offroad64, what you have is a vintage Merkur Slant Bar HD razor dating from around 1950.

15. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Amazing price. They really don't build things as well as they used to at merkur these days so take care of it.

16. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Man. I've never seen a safety or straight razor of any kind in any thrift store. Antique stores are a different story, but Salvation Army and Goodwill out here in SoCal just don't put them out for sale. They must either toss them or keep them for themselves. Shame. Incredible score for you, though. Looks like a great razor.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Oh my.

That is in amazing shape. Even without the blade cases, you could probably get about $200 for that on eBay.

The more common Hoffritz razors in good shape (made for Hoffritz by Merkur) that share the same plating, case, etc. start at $130 and go up from there.

That is an uncommon razor. Just...wow!

18. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Hoffritz slants are actually quite flat right now on the bay. They are honestly silly to sell unless you need funds badly as the quality is vastly superior to the modern offering. Even my 80s slant is made with a lot more care.

19. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Wow! I knew it was a steal and I kinda knew it was a good razor at a good price. I didn't think it was anywhere near $200 though.

I'm definitely keeping it, cleaning up the case and looking for blade cases to go into it.

Thanks for the compliments and info everyone.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

WOW! That's a major score. Ok I'm jealous. Have a lot of fun shaving with that beauty. :)