What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Thus one of my arguments that everyone should be required to take a gun safety course - maybe as part of driver's ed. We'd have a lot fewer problems if even the peaceniks/anti-gun folks understood how to make one _safe_.

Screwtape, BamaT and DaltonGang like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, some just arent made for gun ownership. I have relatives like that. No judgement on my part, it's just that they have to be a little more creative and proficient in other forms of defense.

Screwtape and mrchick like this.
  3. Bookworm

I certainly don't think anyone should be forced to own one, use one, or anything similar. Just a safety course. That way they know how to disarm one if they come across it, and don't think that they're magical death wands. Because of movies, there are likely a lot of people that think if the gun falls, it'll go off. If they know that they're designed _not_ to do that, they'll be more willing to hit an armed intruder in the arm with a baseball bat :)

Screwtape and BamaT like this.
  4. DaltonGang

If you think about that,Universal Gun Training Theory, well, wouldn't we then be training the bad guys how to use the guns more proficiently?? This is a conversation that might then be twisted into ways that will inflame some people. So, im not delving into that subject here. :eatdrink047:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. Bookworm

That'd be true if it was training. See the above - I don't want to even think about suggesting training, although that would REALLY help solve the problems. Suggesting training will bring out every 'peace at all costs, as long as it's not my cost' nut job and whackaroonie. I just want to require "This is a gun. This is how you recognize a safety/magazine release/etc. This is what it can do, and what it can't do". Standard safety course only. No hands-on required.

Mind you, I do wonder if the criminals would bother getting training, and become more aware of what's on the other side of their spray-n-pray target. Probably not :) IF they had that much foresight, they'd get real jobs.

One thing I need to put up for my home defense is cameras outside that can record the cars - the biggest problem in our area is people stealing crap from the yards and taking off. My neighbor, for example, actually had someone steal their wooden bench. We've had solar lights, a lawnmower, and a wheelbarrow stolen.

Screwtape likes this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    DaltonGang likes this.
  7. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've shot guns at the range before and it is waaaay too easy to pull that trigger.

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

At least you can say, you tried. :happy088:

mrchick, Bookworm and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have a selection between a ninja tang, two cast iron skillets, my wife's hello kitty baseball bat and other items laying around the house.

Screwtape, dscaver, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  10. Bookworm

Don't use the skillets. Anyone who cooks knows the value of keeping it intact.

richgem and Zykris like this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

In that case; I've got a scythe, hand sickle, a son who scares the locals and misc farm tools. Lol
    Also helps that my neighbors watch out for us and we in return.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Wasp spray.

It's bad news. Stream goes twenty feet.

Edison Carter, mrchick and Bookworm like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Wow, bad deal on both counts. I would love to have a M15.

A few years back, I was going to buy a package deal from a co-worker and get a 4” M10 and a 3” M13, but had to be out of town the next day and when I got back to work the guy backed out. Bummer! A 3” M13 would be a great all around revolver.

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Love cast iron skillets for cooking. They are also a multi-purpose tool!

Screwtape, dscaver and Zykris like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Hey, that Wasp Spray works well. I've seen where people use it against intruders and drunk boyfriends. It puts them down as well as pepper spray, sometimes better. :happy088::happy088:

16. Bama Samurai

100% legal, you can buy it no questions asked,too. Every single woman should know this one.

17. Bookworm

Neurotoxin. It's Sarininacan. The eyes would absorb that crap FAST. :)

18. Bama Samurai

It can be lethal.

Redfisher and DaltonGang like this.
  19. Bookworm

I have no experience with that, and I hope to never gain that experience - on either side.

DaltonGang likes this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes it would. Just have to make sure someone hasn’t ruined it with hot loads. K-frame .357s don’t like abuse.

Screwtape and DaltonGang like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.