What does ''rotation'' mean with razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 19, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I keep seeing folks here saying they use certain razors in their ''rotation''. What does that mean? I've been wondering about that for a long while now.

RaZorBurn123, RyX and Karl G like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Some people use a handful of razors for set period of time. Then they will rotate out the razors for others in their collection. A rotation can be as many as you want it to be for as long as you want it to be.

I personally don't have a rotation. I have over 40 razors and use a different one everyday. I try not to double up on a razor until I've gone through all of them

Primotenore, preidy, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Can I have a rotation of one? I use one razor, although I can see the enjoyment of trying different razors on a regular basis.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder, preidy, RyX and 8 others like this.
  4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of razors. I use mostly a Gillette Flexball, I have several DE razors. I use my original issued 1967 M-3 Gillette Knack TTO/DE {issued to me in Boot Camp}
    But having been ill I have not shaved for several days again. I like my Weber 3pc. S/S Polished Head 85 mm Classic Handle {This is my Preferred Razor & My Favorite}

preidy, RyX, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I currently have a 3 razor rotation. '71 SA-109, EJ DE89bl, and a NEW SC. One week each(Sun-Fri, no shave Sat.). Sunday is also blade change out day. Each razor has a matching blade.
    Then there is Soapy Sunday, where I use one of my soaps. Menthol Monday, Proraso Green. So yeah, rotation.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    preidy, RyX, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another way to look at a rotation is as a cycle.
    I cycle through my 32 DEs by using a different one every day Mon-Fri - use one, take the blade out, move the razor to the end of the line, put the blade in the next razor in line.
    Saturdays I cycle through my straights.
    Sundays I go through my SEs.

I rotate through roughly 30 soaps and near 20 brushes - different one every day. Use it, move it to the end of the line, next one up.

preidy, RyX, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It means that they are collectors who like to rotate through their inventory.

RyX, DesertTime, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

:)

Karl G and crackstar like this.
  9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm back up to like 25 (soon to be 26) razors, and a ton of different blades. My rotation is whatever strikes my fancy that night.

preidy, Karl G, Hodge and 1 other person like this.
  10. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Since I understand what rotation is now, and since I have only two razors in my posession right now, a Schick Krona and a Gillette Slim Adjustable, I guess I can begin my rotation with those two razors. Hopefully that does not hurt anything, since the fact I'm a beginner with DE razors. So happy and grateful with the razors I have right now and can't wait to grow my collection.

RaZorBurn123, RyX, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I would suggest picking only one razor and sticking to it until you've mastered it. Changing razors while learning confounds technique development.

Terry Williams, dustmite, RyX and 7 others like this.
  12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Do you only use a blade once or do you move the blade from razor to razor?

Karl G and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have 40-50 Razors and change every time I change blades. I pick based on whim.

HERM

preidy, DesertTime, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

:signs011: 30 Day Rule/Focus!

RyX, Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
  15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Most of my 25+ razors make it into my rotation, some more often than others.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I figure if I can't get around to using a razor once a month it belongs in somebody else's den. So I limit my collection to 30 or so, use my favorite, the Shake Sharp, on Saturday, rest of the week rotate through the rest so I get around to all of them once a month or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

preidy, RyX, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have some blades that I go through. So I use a different one in each razor until I've used the blades once then I go through them again. I'll also mark the paper cover with a dot showing how many times I've used it. I've found that a lot of razor blades can be used close to 10 times before I notice a significant drop in performance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    preidy, RyX and Karl G like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I vaguely recall when I crossed that collector line. It has inspired me to move out razors that don't see use and kept me from purchasing duplicates. After gathering up enough Iconic pieces, the RAD subsided.
    I could establish a set rotation, but I prefer to focus on a type for a while, then move on as the whim takes me.

Herm2502 and preidy like this.
  19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have around 20 DE, 10 SE and 30 SRs. I tend to select my daily razor mostly based on whim.

RyX, Herm2502 and preidy like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for pointing that out. Beat me to it. Seems all to often newer shavers are encouraged to start changing things before they learn how to shave.

lightcs1776 likes this.