What is the best 3 piece razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight razor dandy, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The best razor for me to grab on mornings where my kids kept me up all night, and I'm so tired I can't think straight is my Triangle slotted fat handle Tech. 3 pass BBS with no thinking or cuts. I also have a New SC baseplate for this one, and a complete Old SC head. So it's actually three razors.

Carbide Mike, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

This thread is exactly what I'm looking for. Trying to buy a good safety razor and some blades for my son for Christmas. He's been shaving with canned goo and a drugstore razors for just over a year and is having trouble with razor burn and irritated skin. Bought him a Stirling synthetic brush and he choose his favorite from my soaps and aftershave balm, but needs a good razor. He has big hands and fast growing heavy beard. I linked him to this site and some good beginner shaving videos for starters. Anyway...I'll be watching this thread and hoping for some insight:)

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I could PIF a razor to you to give him when you decide what type you want. I have lots to choose from
    Does it have to be three piece?

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

EJ DE89bl. IMHO one of the best for a newbie. Was my second buy, the first was a VDH

5. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

You can really stop looking after these.
    Modern- Weber
    Vintage- Gillette New LC
    [​IMG]

6. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Oh Gosh Brian! That is so generous and I'll take you up on it for a price. lol! I'm PMing you now:)

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I own a few 3 piece razors. They all give great shaves, but I really enjoy using my 1921 Big Fellow.
    IMG_5879 copy.jpg

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In my sig. It's replaced both the NEW and the aluminum Silver Star/ASR 3 piece, both of which are fantastic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

So many, it is hard to choose. Of course, there are a lot of great modern razors made these days too...

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The Timeless OC .95 . I love this thing. One of my best DE razors overall. Design, quality, performance. All there.

IMG_1435.JPG

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

In other words, it's a dream shave. ;)

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

That would explain why I went to bed with three days growth, and woke up BBS. :)

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Although most of my 3 piece razors give me a pleasant close shave. The number 1 spot for me is held by my Stahly Live Blade shave head attached to a Weber Bulldog handle, followed closely by a Gillette "NEW" OC attached to a Greist shaving heavy brass handle. Both are fantastic shavers for me close, smooth with no irritation. I use Vikings Sword blades with the Stahly and Astra SS with the "NEW"..:happy088:

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The particular razor choice doesn't matter that much, just encourage your son to master it, and he'll be very happy.

15. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

The Tuckaway always makes me happy.

FullSizeRender.jpg

16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I will say that the Staley is top notch! I almost forgot about that one!

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Both the R41s are true Modern Classics....I've seen more than one happy-go-lucky, swingin shaver...flat taken out of circulation by these guys! :eek:

The R41 doesn't waste time on amateurs or easy to impress shavers either...It's always the best, super experienced shavers that find the R41 is their "Soul Razor" :angelic013: or :sexe:

I've seen them fall...the R41 damn near wipe out a whole generation of Traditional Wet Shaving Players...
    Yes Sir, a real Modern Classic....

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy102::happy097:

19. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Feather AS/D2
    close second being an ATT M2 Atlas handle.

20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Maybe I should have started a voting poll

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.