What is the best drugstore ASB?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rusty blade, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Sanex Sensitive ASB used to be the best. Sadly it's discontinued.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i remember the old gold bond itch powder commercials.1980s .nivea originals asb mostly used.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. hvacguy85

hvacguy85 Well-Known Member

Found this at Walmart, been using a couple weeks now and I like it.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and PLAla like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I need to look for that.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. hvacguy85

I found it with a two dollar off coupon, think it costs around 3$ with the coupon

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Does it smell like AV ?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. hvacguy85

Not to me, it's more of a clean fresh scent, very light

Carbide Mike and Linuxguile like this.
  8. fdce54

fdce54 Member

IMHO, the best aftershave store bought balm is the Aveeno Active Naturals. Works better than any other balm I have used. It's only drawback is that even though it says "fragrance free" on the tube, you smell like oatmeal. I haven't had to use it since I figured out my setup was too aggressive as I am a daily shaver. I now use a Timor 1350 closed comb with a GSB blade and life is good.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

In looking at those suggested, they all seem to help moisturize the skin and help it heal but what about the other reason to apply aftershave: to act as astringent and to clean pores of bacteria.

I am not sure any of those listed can do this. I do not recall any claiming this functionality.

Does anyone know if this functionality is done by them? From what I know, this functionality is typically done by witch hazel or alum and none contain them. Other more artisan or big name aftershaves do include them.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Just looking at Stirling post shave balm it has the following:

: Distilled Water, Witch Hazel, Aloe, Emulsifying Wax, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Glycerin, Myristyl Myristate (Co-Emulsifier), Grapeseed Oil, Refined Shea Butter, Fragrance Oil, Vitamin E, Optiphen Plus, Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Allantoin

Barrister & Mann aftershave has:
    Ingredients: Witch Hazel Water (Hamamelis Virginiana), SD Alcohol 40-B (Alcohol Denatured), Water (Aqua), Organic Licorice Root Extract (Glycyrrhiza Glabra), Glycerin, Taurine, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorella (Chlorella Vulgaris)/White Lupin Protein Ferment (Lupinus Albus), Eleuthero Root Extract (Acanthopanax Senticosus), Organic Alcohol, Fragrance, Salicylic Acid, Allantoin, Organic Aloe Leaf Extract (Aloe Barbadensis), German Chamomile Flower Extract (Matricaria Recutita), Provitamin B5 (Panthenol), Sodium Lactate, Benzoic Acid, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, D-Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Coumarin, Cinnamic Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellal, Eugenol, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Evernia prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Citral

Those thing in Bold help reduce bacteria, tighten skin and might help with acne.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Although I have used Dove - and it is good - I really like Nivea. I use the "Original". It is readily available and does not interfere with any of the after shave splashes.
    Feb 6, 2017.jpg

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Speick is pretty good. I also like Tabac Original, but that's because of the scent, and not for the skin care properties.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

I use the Nivea Sensitive balm, it's inexpensive and readily available and the scent doesn't linger so I can still smell the scent of the soap I used.

Carbide Mike, David W650 and Col C like this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I just happen to dislike the scent very much. Even though it does not linger, I am not a fan.

15. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Since I use AS Balm as needed AFTER a high alcohol AS splash, I tend to look for compatible scents.
    The AFTA (Mennen) & Gillette ASB work well as does the Nivea - but I don't limit myself just to Shave products.

I find that the many After Sun Gels & Lotions work well in the summer, and for those dry winter months, I use a heavier, thicker lotion.
    Gillette & Nivea ASB is good, but Shea Moisture products are a step up in quality IMHO.
    Shea Moisture Baby Lotion.jpg
    This one is very effective and has a unique scent. Nothing else like it that I have come across.
    Good stuff.

16. David W650

David W650 Active Member

NIVEA Sensitive Shave Balm is my one and only balm.

Price, performance and availability are all working in its' favor.

Hey, I may be ugly but my face feels great thanks to Nivea. :scared001:

17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I feel the same. Great stuff and great price, available everywhere.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This is getting redundant, but I, too, like the Nivea Sensitive ASB. Great feel and scent.

Rusty blade likes this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I don't use ASBs anymore, but Nivea was one that I liked. Also Thayer's Witch Hazel was very nice for warm weather. Thayer's can be a bit pricey tho. And the rose scented one, you may want to avoid. I found that one had too much scent staying power. The lemon one is very nice tho.

Primotenore and Rusty blade like this.
  20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Sounds like most of us have tried and liked the Nivea Sensitive ASB. Great product. Nivea makes several AS products...some I never heard of before.
    http://www.en.nivea.ca/products/mens-care/product-type/after-shave-balm

Eventually I would like to try all of them. I recently purchased Nivea Cool Kick After Shave Balm. It was inexpensive like the other Nivea after shave products. I really enjoy the scent. Similar in a way to the Nivea Sensitive ASB, but it had more of a cologne, manly scent. It reminded me of my Dad. He would have enjoyed this product. It is a balm, so comes out of the container like a hand lotion...similar to Nivea Sensitive. Feels great on my skin. I didn't get a strong "cool" kick, but it was just a pleasant sensation. I am pleased with my purchase.
    nivea-for-men-cool-.jpg

EnglishChannel likes this.