What is the best LOOKING safety razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight razor dandy, Dec 11, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I just wish it shaved quite as good as it looks.

Jim99 and PanChango like this.
  2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I think this beauty may have been the influence.....
    [​IMG]

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

[​IMG]

Jim99, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  4. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

image.jpeg I agree with the Timeless (with OC and grooved cap). I'm partial to "Machine Age" and "Art Deco" styles.
    That's why the Stahly Live Blade is pretty cool looking in my book.

Jorvaljr, Jim99, PanChango and 9 others like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, I like the retro look of the Stahly. But I still like the Fat Boy (here in two-tone rhodium) and his brother the gold Executive.
    20161211_194643.jpg

HERM

Jim99, wmbjr, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 to the Fat Boys Classic good looks. I've been fortunate to find 4 or 5 priced between $5 and $14. All were nickel finish. But not to worry as I'm not hoarding them. Except for the first one they've found new homes. Before I send them on, I like to do a comparison shave to make sure I'm keeping the best one.
    SOTD 08182016.gif

Jim99, AGHisBBS, Jorvaljr and 5 others like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Look it's all subjective and I shouldn't rain on anybody's Fatboy parade if that's your thing.. But for me, while the Fatboy is handsome it's look broke new ground, squint and it basically looks in its best days like an updated 40s Aristocrat using cheaper materials. And shaves no better than those or the Slim or Black Beauty. To me anyway. Resident Fatboy skeptic here. Sorry I just don't understand the gotta have a Fatboy phenomenon. I'll go now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Wow, nice collection!

9. scott.ostermille

scott.ostermille Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99, Smooth Steve, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I just watched your review.. it's a great looking razor. I have the original DOC. The handle is reminiscent of a ball end tech
    IMG_4132.jpg

RyX likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Theme of the thread is "Best LOOKING" It's a value judgment. Two years ago I didn't know what a FatBoy was. Of all my razors including Gillettes and other DE's, Shick injectors (but not the Bunny), straights, and shavettes, I've enjoyed shaving with this '59 #195 the most. When I look at it, it makes me happy.
    I guess I have similar feeling as you when it comes to GEM SE's. I own 3 or 4, and have yet to get a comfortable shave from one. No disrespect to those that do. But cheer up @jmudrick , if you happen across a FatBoy in the wild for a good price, it's easy to let go of if you don't like them, and great trade fodder.

Jim99, Herm2502 and PickledNorthern like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Apologies for sidetracking. Let's forget all that, I'll simply opine that I find the 40s Aristocrats the better looking razors among the TTOs. I sold my Fatboy - - it didn't make me happy when I looked at it, it just reminded me I paid more than I should have for a meh shaver- - but if I did find another it would go on ebay in a hearbeat to fund my injector/SE addiction. I might keep the Aristocrat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Jorvaljr, Jim99, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A lot of good choices here, and I would add that as far as TTO's go, the Fatboy and Executive are tops on my list. I also like the Cobra Classic looks as it's very sleek looking. But I would like to add the following, either the Bostonian or New Standard models would be my choice for vintage three piece razors. And the Claymore single edge for a modern one with it's nice and smooth clean lines.

1922 Gillette Bostonian Safety Razor (5).JPG Claymore-single-edge-razor.jpg

CarlfromMO, Jorvaljr, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  14. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Timeless scalloped on pineapple handle

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Who can argue with this!!! Whatever else appears in this thread, and there are some incredible entries, this one will have to be in the Top Tier of the Finest!:smiley respect:

Jim99, RyX, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Most definitely...Ahh, imitation is the sincerest form of compliment. ..I believe there was even a '60's TV show that borrow the PAL's profile for a Space Craft.....

17. scott.ostermille

You're certainly not mistaken that the Aristocrats (and I'll throw in Presidents, Diplomats, and Executives) are exceptionally good looking razors. I think the Fatboy craze comes from the fact that they're reasonably hard to find, yet they are not so unobtainable that you hesitate to use it to shave, they do shave VERY well. Plus, being an Adjustable, it's like having 9 razors in one.
    The GEM's, in my opinion, are a forgotten treasure. Mine shave very smoothly, but I can understand how someone may not be comfortable with them - especially the Micromatic Open Comb. That thing is a beast.

RyX and Billyfergie like this.
  18. scott.ostermille

Exactly. And thanks for watching!

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There were 111 Fatboys for sale on eBay when I checked a couple days ago. Including an Executive offered at $399 and ten or so standard FB at $175+. Not remotely hard to find, cased or uncased. Indeed, many fewer Red Tips or Black Beauties or Pre War Techs. .. It's a long list of more scarce razors selling for lower prices even in the Gillette world, it's certainly not an issue of scarcity. And though they are of course nice shavers, whether they are superior to the Slim or Black Beauty is a matter of opinion. My most recent perusal of forum comments showed the Slim preferred by a majority. I preferred my Slim. The Fatboy is better looking, but it's forum generated demand for a not uncommon razor which has led to speculation and price inflation.

Anyway, back on track of the GEM and Ever Ready razors the real looker has to be the Streamline. Wish I had one.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Jim99 likes this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Ill vote for the original Darwin Deluxe, a piece of unobtainium that tops my wish list:
    [​IMG]

Dragon, jmudrick, Jim99 and 5 others like this.