What is the cheapest yacht you can get?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by watershedmomentz, Aug 4, 2011.

1. watershedmomentz

watershedmomentz New Member

That works fine and won't break down? I just want a budget in my mind so I have a goal to work towards. All I want in my life is a yacht. And traveling

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Can you get little remote controlled ones?

I honestly don't know the only ones i have seen have been pretty gosh darn expensive. But there are some cheaper ones out there for sure.

There are probably some yachting forums around that you could ask around about.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Yacht's I believe are one of those things if you have to ask how much...

4. tristen

tristen Member

sailboats are cheaper than powerboats... both in gas prices and in cost in general... a 60 foot powerboat can be had for a small price of 850k, while a mildly used 65 foot sailboat can be had for under 200k, and a new suit of sails is only 10k... which you can pay in gas in said powerboat from the distance of VA beach to Annapolis

5. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

Howdy! One thing to consider is the cost for a slip or place at a dock. Could be $300 per month or more. Also, gas for boats costs more than at a service station. I guess only because of the convenience issue. My father-in-law had a small yacht on a lake in Ft. Worth. He would only go out for about 30 minutes then anchor. He always complained about the gas price. That was years ago though. Sailing could be a bit less expensive as previously said. Best of luck! Always, Gene

6. tristen

tristen Member

the marina i work at charges 96 dollars a foot per year. there are cheaper marinas, but not all of them can host a yacht, per-say. the cheaper marinas around where i work might not want to have any sailboats longer than, say, 40 feet or so, and that's not quite 'yacht'...

a new canopy on a yacht can cost 3-5k or so, but atleast they last about 8-10 years. a canvas enclosure can cost 8-12k and cushions can cost 300-700 a piece. A winter storage cover is 120 per foot of boat-length... I recently walked away from a job with a 900 dollar profit. I worked for 2 days and charged 55 dollars an hour less than the normal going rate. so... ya, the initial investment is expensive, but i expect my work should last about 5 years before needing replacement.

There's always a deal to find, but be weary, repairs on cheaply priced boats will bring the price right up past just getting a well maintained one.

7. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

What would you like to do with this yacht?

You could race models, and travel the country doing so. (sailing and travelling)

You could trailer a small yacht, and have a blast exploring shallow bays, and not worry about expensive slips, moorings, and being tied to one area.

You could go offshore with a more expensive boat that you'd spend more time working to pay for, and less time sailing.

I have seen some nice old boats in the 23 ft range, only a few grand will get you started.