What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by lferg, Jan 18, 2009.

1. lferg

lferg New Member

I have looked through threads here but haven't seen a good explanation of the difference between the types of soaps and each ones advantages. What's the difference in milled soaps, glycerin, and talc or what ever the other kind/s are and is one better than the other?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Well, there's

Glycerin
    -with clay
    -without clay
    -with/without various moisturizing ingredients (ie- shea butter, goats milk, olive oil, etc)

Triple milled
    -tallow based
    -vegetable based

Cold Processed

The difference is ingredients and basically finding what works for you.

Personally I find triple milled soaps drying.

There might be other kinds I'm not remembering to mention, but others can chime in on that.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

You try the different kinds and figure out which one works for you. JoAnna finds tripple milled soaps drying, I dont.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

'Yea but you don't like Scrubbing bubbles or aqua velva either:D:scared003

But to throw my part into the answer.. You really have to try them all to see what works right for you. What is good for one is hated by others. I like williams and VDH soaps just fine. Some hate them. To each his own.

Fuzzy

5. JayKay

as long as they agree with me.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:happy102

Fuzzy

7. lferg

lferg New Member

So I guess then the glycerin soaps seem to be the most popular because they are the easiest to make and thats why they are the most talked about around here? Would that be right?

8. Queen of Blades

I'd say it's more along the lines of glycerin soaps are cheaper and available in a wider range of scents.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

In all honesty they are usually easier for me to lather. I bet some going to say that the other soaps are easier... But you will have to see.. JoAnna makes some great one that you should try.

Fuzzy

10. lferg

lferg New Member

My wife and I are currently using Trumpers soap but we are want to get a few more really good scents. We have almost bought some while browsing through this forum but we just can't decide who to buy from. I guess there again it all comes down to trying all of them and finding what you like. I guess we should just go ahead and get some though. It'll be Mamma bear JoAnne or Soapbuddy. Reading the forums suggests they are all great soaps.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I can promise that you will not be sad that you tried JoAnna's. I use both soap and Cream from here. It is as good as the more expensive brands.. even English brands IMHO.

Fuzzy

12. Queen of Blades

Guess I must have missed welcoming you. (I've been fairly sick, and busy lately:o) But I see you haven't signed up for the January Newbie Give-Away. (link in my sig)

Welcome!

13. JayKay

The great thing about the forum and JoAnnas soaps are you can order a million samples of everything and see what you like. And than buy them in big sizes. And than eat cupcakes.

14. Queen of Blades

I'm not making those cupcakes! :p

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

That's the bottom line here :D