What is Your Current Favorite DE Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Medic_Coop, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Akula

Akula New Member

Feathers outperform everything else for me, except in the price category. The best for the price, I like the Personna Red Israeli. Feathers work best in my EJ but the Personnas are great in my others.

2. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Astra SS or SP
    Feathers

3. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

For my Mühle R41 Grande - Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum (nice blend of smoothness, not too sharp not too mute and very good quality control)

For my Feather AS-1 DE - Feather HI Stainless Platinum (this mild Razor needs a sharp blade - Feather for a Feather)

For my Mühle Sophist R89 - Astra Superior Platinum (very nice blend of comfort, sharpness and smoothness - sharper than the 7 O'Clock Blue though)

4. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

havent got to try many but so far Bic is my favorite blade ive yet to use but have several more to try. Using a merkur futur

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I was really surprised that with two bulk buys of Voskhod blades I didn't see any mention of them until the very last post of page three and even after that, just a few times. Now allow me to stick my foot in my mouth. My favorite (at the moment :D ) is the Gillette 7 o'clock Black, aka, the Black Ninja.

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Right now, my favorite blade is the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. It gives me a smooth shave at a fraction of the price of feathers.
    I have some Astra SP to try next week and compare.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

For the moment it is Gillette Silver Blue. Very smooth and comfortable shaves.

8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Based solely on shave quality, my favorite blades in the Edwin Jagger DE89 are Silver Star Super Stainless. Taking immediate availability into account, my favorites are the CVS store brand blades.

In the Merkur 34C, my favorites are the Derby blades, and in the Gillette Slim the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums.

Why would people be unhappy because Sputniks are your favorite DE blades?

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I doubt you'll get an answer. Reformation Student was last seen two and a half years ago!

Yeah, this thread is from 2010. :)

10. F. Dragos

F. Dragos Active Member

I prefer Feather at any time, but the price is really a killer for me, and I have to order them on the web. However I've been using SuperMax Super Platinum for quite a while and they perform quite well and they are dirt-cheap. Gillette Platinum are not as aggressive as SuperMax but they (usually) last 2 shaves more. I get around 3-4 shaves with the SuperMax, about 5 with Gillette and 6-7 with Feather. I only use one razor - a Rotbart Mond-Extra (but that may will changes soon, since I'm getting a shavette).

KLF likes this.
  11. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Polsilver SI

12. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Gillette Silver Blue!

13. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I have only tried a few, but so far I like Derby's. I plan on trying many more, though!

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My top three favorites as of now at least:
    1) Viking's Sword
    2) Astra SP
    3) PolSilver Super Iridium

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love Feathers. While more expensive than others, when ordered in bulk, they are about 40 cents per blade. I can live with that.

16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I am trying to find my favourite blade, but at the moment the Gillette Silver Blue is in the lead, followed by Gillette 7 o'clock Indian black and perhaps the NOS Polsilver on third

17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Bic Chrome Platinum and Bolzano. The latter is marginally better for the first two shaves, but the former is both less expensive and can last more than twice as many shaves for me (2-4 shaves with a Bolzano vs. 4-8 with a Bic).

It's interesting to me how some folks find it best to pair a specific blade to a particular razor. I only have the one DE razor so far, so I'm curious as to whether I'll wind up finding similar pairings work best.

18. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

1) Viking's Sword
    2) Feather
    3) PolSilver Super Iridium

19. captainamer71

captainamer71 Member

IP's crystal work best in my EJ 89. Have tried Derby and personna blue. I love these blades!

[​IMG]

20. drew23

drew23 Active Member

1. Astra SP
    2./3. & O'clock Black / Voskhod

Too hard to choose. Like the Red Personnas too.