What Razor can't you use?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, May 24, 2011.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    It's not the tools fault it's the operator. All so true. That being said, there are some razors I just can't get a handle on. Initially Super Speeds were hard for me to use, but after shaving for two months with just Super Speeds, I find it quite any easy razor to use, giving great results. (I'm glad I invested my time with them) But now to the reason for my post.

I have three albatrosses around my smoothly shaved neck. 1) The one that disappoints me the most that I just can't dial it in is an IKON OC Bulldog. I try to use it but am always left with irritation and disappointment. 2) Merkur HD, I started with it, but if it wasn't for the humble Tech my shave journey would have come to an abrupt halt. To me nothing rips my neck up as easy as an HD. 3) EJ 89, so loved by many but I can't find any Love.

What razors have you found hard to master? I'm not asking what is a bad razor, as I believe all razors can give good results in the proper hands. But are there razors that you can't dial in ?

2. NoahG

NoahG Member

I just can't finish a good shave with my DE 86. The black and beautiful Edwin Jagger gives me two great passes, then I just can't finish the deal. I end up with irritation and nicks when I try a 3rd or 4th pass. I also only seem to get two decent shaves per blade with anything other than Astra SP's.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'd have to say the tech, just too light and mild. I end up putting pressure on it, which leads to irritation. I just ordered a slant yesterday, so we'll see if I'm cut out for that beast.

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

A month ago, the slants scared me, now I'm tempted and intrigued.

5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me, the DE 86 needs sharper than average blades. Loaded with a Feather or a 7-O'clock Yellow or Black, I get smooth 3-pass shaves. With anything less sharp I find myself needing 4 passes ++ and not getting as close a shave while risking irritation.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I found a Segal and some blades for it at a flea market last year. I've used it twice - both time were just uncomfortable. To be honest, though, since it takes proprietary blades I don't know if it was the old blades or a bad razor. Maybe someday I'll get ambitious and punch the center out of a modern blade and give that a go in the old Segal.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I gave this some thought as I have had a few dodgy razors. Most of them weren't my favorite shaves, but I could get a passable shave from them. The one that was absolutely a wart on the ass of progress, was the Merkur 11c. I tried with that razor for a few weeks with just about every blade in my arsenal and was unable to manage even a decent shave with it.

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I cannot get a ss to work well. Seems to pull and tug. My Red Tip is great though.

9. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Open combs.... mind you i'm young and I don't grow crazy facial hair yet.. I also can't use a feather blade.

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have yet to try a open comb... On my list of things to use haha. Hope they work for me.:eek:

11. Moe

Moe Active Member

For me, a Tech. It's like trying to shave with a butter knife. Just can't get a close shave.

12. Tforc

Tforc Member

which razor

Started with borrowed slant about gave up shaving, found the Den. I learned i was pressing and prepping very wrong for wire beard. Still learning the ropes with my fat boy first razor purchase and franken razor (thanks Moe), Now with good prep i can get decent shaves with both. Had hard time learning the no pressure thing, kept burning my self and getting monkey butt face. Now shaving is taking on the pleasure of having smooth face with no irritation only after going back to the basics with each razor change if that makes sense.
    B

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Earlier today I was trying to remember the name of the razor but it eluded me. Then a few posts up Steve said Segal and yep that is the one I was thinking of. I took a Wally Wilk and broke it in half and then ever so carefully screwed the razor head back down and had a go at the shave. Nope, no go with the Segal. I think that in the right place in time when the proper blades were available it may have been a good shaver, but I guess I will never know for sure.

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

don't fear open combs. seriously, they're not as aggressive as people make them sound.

the only non-damaged razor I've ever put down and decided not to pick up again was an open comb micromatic. They're quite aggressive, although you can get a wonderful shave from one if you have the time.

I didn't have the time, and my children kept interrupting. That razor went bye bye.

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I do not fear them. I have thick facial hair so an open comb might work better for me. As with most razors no pressure and take time, you should live to see another shave. :D

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I cannot use any of these DE's sold in dollar stores--they'll cut my face to pieces.

17. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

I can't use Merkur Futur, put it too high and I get irritation from here to the north pole, set it lower and I can't get a close too BBS shave without going for 6 passes and irritation to boot, one of those things for me that you just can't get it how you want it.

18. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

A flare tipped rocket. I found one a while back and tried using it thinking it would be as good as my other rocket...boy was I wrong. It felt like shaving with a piece of scrap metal.

19. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Not counting a Rolls, which might be fine if I could just get the blade sharp enough, my bête noire has been a 1902 style Kampfe Lather Catcher. It's the only SE razor that's given me major problems. Large blade gap, and the safety bar design doesn't help guide it around my face as it does on later models. I don't actually cut myself, but get more irritation than I like.

Since I always think of something to add several minutes after making the post, the Open Comb Micromatic was one that I had all sorts of trouble with at first. It was the first SE I tried, and that was the most styptic I ever used on a single day. Came back to it later, and didn't have any trouble at all. There were any number of things I might have been doing wrong.

20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Me and single edge razors just don't play well together. I've tried many from some of the first made to the last made and ended up selling them all. Could be the user, could be the very limited supply of SE blades. SE blades aren't like DE blades where you have literally a hundred different brands to try out. I think there's only 6, 7 brands of SE blades and if none of them work for you, you're S.O.L. :happy102