What Razor can't you use?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, May 24, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've only seen pics of the Sticky but had heard good on it. What about it doesn't work for you?

2. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I've never been able to get a great shave from Tech's. I'm not sure if its b/c they are mild shavers, b/c I'm a huge fan of RedTips. On the other hand I have yet to get a good/decent shave out of Feather's. Yes they are sharp, but I tend to get irritation from them.
    Strange from before my DE time, I got decent shaves out of my M3, but terrible from the M3 Turbo, and never liked the Fusion/Proglide.

3. napoleon

napoleon Member

It just doesn't "sit" right with me. I can't keep a good angle. On other razors I dont have this problem. I's entirely a personal thing.

4. Hiya,

I can't use any razor with an Old Type head. That would include models like a Single Ring, as well as the old Bulldogs. Those things are waaay too aggressive for me to be able to use with any comfort. No amount of technique tweaking or blade changing can get past how much I feel the blade on my face.

I have a 1919 Bulldog that I just cannot bring myself to ever use again. Too bad because it's one of the nicer looking silver plated models. Heh, that damn thing tries it's best to take a bite outta me, and I gotta pay too much attention to detail with no reward.

Martin

Here's a few pics of that bad doggie:

Attached Files:

5. paydepst

paydepst Member

Don't really care for Merkurs.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Are you sure you're talkin' 'bout the razor and not the blade?

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome to the club, bro--me neither!

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

There is one on Boulevard Decarie in St-Laurent right near metro Cote-Vertu which sells these Chinese-made DE for around a dollar. They are absolutely terrible. :(

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I thought that went without sayin'! :rofl

I know, I know... It's your shave. Enjoy it your way! :D

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Like Martin, any razor with an Old Type head.

And for safety bar razors, my Barbasol and my face don't like each other.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

That cool little folding one piece? That's too bad if so Bill, that has to be one of the neatest little designs.....

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wrong one, that was the Williams razor Bob, and I can use that one just fine.

The one I'm talking about is in Jody's picture below, which I hope he doesn't mind that I linked to it.

[​IMG]

13. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Sad to say it.. Rolls Viscount.. just can't get the hang of it.

SuperSpeed, Twist, Lady Gillette.. all to mild for me.. Great if I want a two passer, but anything more and I end up buffing and pressing.. just can't it close enough.

Straights...almost lost my left ear and upper lip last year.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Did it have the safety bar on the head? That helped a lot, I found.

15. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

On the Rolls? The bar is there, but from all that I have studied, that isn't truly a safety bar..

16. Moe

Moe Active Member

For some reason could not edit my own post, but learned something and wanted to add:

I recently learned that there are a couple different types of slots under the Tech head. I never really noticed, aside from trying a Tech early on. I hadn't shave with one for over a year. I had read in some post that the Triangular slotted heads were a little more aggressive than the regular slots. So, I acquired me a triangular slotted version and gave it a go with a feather, WOW!:eek: What a nice shave. Very mild shaver, but still got BBS, never able to obtain that with a Tech before. I imagine this is how those feel that describe the Feather SS razor as mild but very efficient.

Great! Now I suppose I'll be looking for a feather SS :happy102

17. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

its not a face razor , but my wart is the yellow head blade >ive tried the companys blade , the generic 2 and 3 blades carts , I just gave up and shave with my ej89l and use a "used" blade (ie the last shave on a blade ) and get a shiney dome

18. Alucard

Alucard New Member

I could not get a good shave from my Gem open comb Damaskeene. Not sure if it was that particular razor or not but it was way too mild.

19. Rothbardian

Rothbardian New Member

After using the Slant, I really don't care to use my Gillettes. I enjoy the LOUD sound of the whiskers popping with the Slant and the relatively speedy shave I get with it. Of course, a speedy shave probably sounds unappealing to most of you here.

20. dilly-b

dilly-b Member

The most aggro 'safety' I've ever used is the lowly Turkish YUMA - gap and exposure are HUGE - the "safety bars" are just for decoration. It's just the blade - and your face. It gets me closer than anything except a str8. The OCMM is a heavy mother, the Yuma weighs nothing. Sure if you're going from a Super Speed or an EJ, then the OCMM is an entirely different animal, but shouldn't be anything to fear. The Déco styling, precision and heft are pretty awesome. A Yuma is just a cheap holder for a blade.:D

I consider this thing to be as close to being straight razor aggressive without being a straight, that's just how it feels. It also clears the shaving cream away, whereas an open comb variety would still leave it behind. It's a VERY aggressive razor & requires perfection in technique.