What razor is this..and is it supposed to work like this...?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

In the razor-lot that I just bought and received one of them is this razor;

[​IMG]

Mr @GDCarrington thought it could be a Sheraton (but that was based on even worse photos from the original listing). Anyone can tell for sure?

Having said that - this is a TTO razor that works in a way I have never experienced before.
    To open the doors I turn the base of the handle and that 'expands' the handle a bit;
    [​IMG]

The blue/green soap/gunk bit is what is 'revealed' when the handle drops down a bit.
    I now push the base up...and the doors pop open.

To close the doors I pull down on the handle and they close...I turn a few times and it's secured.

I've never seen/used a TTO with that mechanism and I don't even know if it's intended to work like that or not. It's just working so well that I have a hard time imagining that it wasn't intended to be that way.

Anyone around who can shed some light on this? :)

RaZorBurn123 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's supposed to work like that. Soak that razor in some hot or warm water with dish detergent and then use some Scrubbin' Bubbles and a soft toothbrush and that green gunk will be history. Dip in some alcohol, dry it and you're ready to shave. I've even added WD-40 at the TTO connection.

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

No it's broken, that is a common defect with the Senators and Sheratons. If you do a google search you can find a fix for it.

lindyhopper66 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now I can see a clear picture, it is a Sheraton and that design had a problem with the knob that would "slip" the handle ring.

My advice would be if you want to use it is to have it sent to a replater who can also do repairs and have the entire razor fully restored at one time.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I believe that is fixable. Google it like Tom said.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks all.
    I'm not sure it would make financial sense to get the Sheraton professionally fixed (I paid about $8 for it if it split the lot cost over the razors I got).
    I'll see if the DIY fix maybe is easy enough to do

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't notice the slippage. I thought the OP was asking how TTO's worked. I've never seen that.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It would be neat to bring it back to life.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My plan is to clean it up and see what it looks like first - then shave with it to see how I like it :)
    The TTO actually works just fine - but that 'droopy TTO cap' of course should be fixed at some point and looking at some videos online it seems like a fairly easy 10-15 min fix.

lindyhopper66 and RaZorBurn123 like this.