What shaving gear do you take on holiday with you?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slow Joe, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

So tomorrow i will be embarking on an adventure. Do you remember the dark times when there was no internet? And, I have heard stories that there was even a time before television! Although I refuse to believe that rumour. I will be venturing to a place that has neither of these things, I will be going to.... a Danish campsite.

Actually I am really looking forward to a week away from tv and internet. Should be relaxing.

But my question is what do you guys take with you on holiday? This is the first time that I am going away from home since I started DE shaving. I decided to take my Travel tech to save space and I bought a Proraso Travel Kit. A small zip up bag containing everything you need a small brush , a small jar of pre shave, tube of shaving cream and aftershave, all in travel size. Perfect.
    But i am not really good with creams, so I don't want to waste my holiday messing around with the cream, So into the bag went my Proraso green soap.
    But i just started using Cella. Love that stuff. That goes in the bag too.
    Might be boring using just one razor for a week. In goes the R 41. Need the gillette Blue blades, and if my face gets sore i need my trusty Nivea balm, and some alum. In they go to.
    Not quite such a small kit now.

So what are your instruments of choice when travelling?

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I bring a tube of TBS Maca Root cream that I use brushless and either witch hazel or no aftershave. The bugs love aftershave. As far as the razor goes, I'll bring either my Slim or Krona with Personna Med Preps or Labs.

Slow Joe likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Camping? Nothing. I don't shave then, but I might bring along a disposable just in case it got too annoying.

Slow Joe likes this.
  4. Ryan B

+1. The only time I shaved in the woods was on military field exercises where it was a requirement. My set up was what I mentioned above though. Whether I'm in a hotel or tent, that's what I use.

5. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

I am currently on vacation and have taken along a chinese SS clone with a transport box including a small mirror, a tube of williams menthol and a small, cheap boar brush for face lathering. Also, I have poured some williams aftershave balm into a small plastic bottle/tube.
    It has worked great for me :)

Slow Joe likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

We'll be leaving next week for a fortnight of camping (to France). I guess I'll take this set:
    2014-06-28-02.JPG

Found it a couple of weeks back for € 4,50. The set contains a Gillette Ball End Tech (in the tin on the right) and a brandless travelling brush in one of the round tins on the top. I'll add a Palmolive Shave Stick (in the second round tin) and I'm going to try and swap the larger tin in the middle for a Rolls Razor (and otherwise I just bring it along!). Chances are a second travel brush will somehow find its way in the set (either a late 1940's Travel King brush or a Dickinson & Gilroys from Liverpool). I'll have a blast shaving!

Mr. Shaverman and Slow Joe like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is how ya go camping!....
    [​IMG]

8. Mr. Shaverman

That's my bathroom. The outhouse is off camera to the left.

BigMark, Slow Joe and macaronus like this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Gillette Ball End Short Comb with travel brush, and of course Cella.
    image.jpg

macaronus and Slow Joe like this.
  10. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

If i were traveling, I'd take all the normal everyday stuff. No travel razors, travel brushes, sample sized containers or anything like that. I can get a full size razor, brush, puck of soap in a 1 cup anchor hocking bowl, tuck of blades and a 3.5 oz bottle of aftershave in a very small space.

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I don't go camping anymore, the Army has made sure I get more than 4 government sponsored less than fun trips per year, however even when I travel for normal occasions I still take relatively the same gear:
    -Favourite razor at the moment (This one will be a Gem 1912, perhaps an OCCM for variety)
    -Enough blades to last
    -Used to take a synthetic brush due to drying time, however this time I'm taking my Proraso Boar (Omega 10083)
    -Prep Pre/Post Cream (Good for more than just preshave)
    -Cella in a survivable container (Ikea Grundtal)
    -Nivea or Gillette ASB for extra moisture & shatterproof container.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If I was able to remember what a vacation was, I might be able to provide an answer.

When I travel, I normally take a beat up long comb New and a couple blades, a small omega, shave stick (palmolive mostly) and a small chunk of alum from when I dropped and broke it. I was using an old Rexall bandaid tin to keep everything in, but it got crushed so I have to find something else. Just don't take anything that has sentimental value or would be difficult to replace. I have lost and had things stolen while away from home.

13. Mr. Shaverman

That's really my reply too. I'm going on a retreat for 12 days in October, and if I want to bring DE supplies I need to get a synthetic or horse brush and a cream or soap that has no scent and an aftershave that has no scent. I just may bring the Norelco and call it good.

Slow Joe likes this.
  14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

If I traveled, I think I would take....
    1. Gillette Slim
    2. Polisilver Super Iridium
    3. Chopped Made Rite Finest Badger (courtesy of GDCarrington)
    4. Razorock Fresco, due to it's ease of lathering
    5. Maggard Razors Alum
    6. Barbasol Pacific Rush

Slow Joe likes this.
  15. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

@Mr. Shaverman A disposable? What like a Merkur?

Slow Joe and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  16. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Just got back from a fly fishing trip for Atlantic salmon. Took the following:
    1) Parker 91r - easy to store 3 piece. Great shaver, but don't care if I lose it.
    2) Vulfix pure black badger 23 mm brush in an old antibiotic container with perforations - again, works great, but don't care if I lose it.
    3) 5 Rapira PL blades
    4) Proraso green shaving cream
    5) RazoRock 60g travel alum stick
    6) Proraso green AS transferred into a travel bottle

Overall, I had amazing shaves! Changed from morning to night shaves to avoid issues with bugs!

Slow Joe and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  17. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

image.jpg Just the bare minimums - a small selection of 3-4 brushes, a half dozen favorite soaps and creams, 2-3 razors, a small selection of 4-5 aftershaves... That's if I'm backpacking (a favorite pastime), of course. If it is a car holiday, I would probably take a little more. But when roughing it one must make do!
    image.jpg

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I believe European camping and US camping is not the same. Camping here is in a caravan/RV/tent on a fenced site with all facilities, power, water, toilets, super market etc. Not in a tent in a rural site 400000km from any civilization :) Sometimes I'd rather prefer the later, but to my knowledge it's not really allowed here in Denmark?

Anyhow, I take a light DE with me, no matter it being camping (EU) or hotels. This year I took my Star DE, stainless steel bowl, Bestshave #6 and Arko Ice Mint. My alum, homemade lotion bar and solid shampoo bar was also in the bag, to double as soap, face wash, aftershave, deodorant etc.

If camping for a short time in a rural site I think I'd leave be with stubble.

19. Ryan B

Wow that is different from most places I've camped at. I wouldn't have to leave home if that's how camping is!

20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

The camp sites here are usually situated near some very nice beaches, and usually have lots of things for the kids to do.But like tuxx pointed out I am not staying out in the wilderness, but if i did I would like jeroldgordans' tent, you know, if I had to rough it.

macaronus likes this.