What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

I was watching that one, you got a nice deal on a nice coti there Billy, @ Dalton, go ahead you know you want one and everyone else has one:signs136: if I remember correctly that seller has another except it's cracked. But there's plenty more to be had out there.

Keithmax, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    There has been a Few Came Up Similar to this in France Over the Last Couple of Weeks or So..I Got this for £21.00 + Postage..I Stole it..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Spyder, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Columbia Cutlery
    Fine American steel[​IMG]
    This was one of my very first hone jobs. I decided to re-hone it. I went thru my Naniwa progression 1,3,8,&12k. The bevel was pretty good so I only gave it 20 licks on the 1k. Everything went smoothly. I decided to finish it on an American stone. So the Translucent Arkansas was it.

After about 100 laps you could feel the razor sucking on the stone. I gave it 50 more for good measure.

Off to shave with it now.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drawer, Jim99, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    This Genco NY 5/8th Arrived a Few Days Ago..The Best of American Steel..I Honed it On a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..1 K, 3 K, 5 K, 8 K, 12 K, 16 K Lapping Film & Finished on My Arkie Surgical Black..These USA Steel Razors are Lovely on the Hone & Face..Getting Punted for Booze Tokens..:D

Drawer, Jim99, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  5. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Red Imp 132. One layer of tape (only on a wedge razor), 1K chosera, Progressively diluted slurry on an Apache Red, then finished on an Apache Strata under running water.

ImpHone.JPG

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice looking razor. I haven't heard of Apache Stones before. Any pics of them, and info on them?

7. Billyfergie

8. DaltonGang

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There's a couple of apache strata threads on TSD.

10. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

I haven't read much in the way of reviews on the Apache stones, and have no experience with the "Gila". My own experience is that they are a fast, reliable route from my bevel setting stones to shave ready. I am most impressed with the Apache Red stone, as it works very well for me, as a slurry stone. It is quick and provides excellent feedback. The Apache Strata is a smooth, "soft feeling" finisher that works well and quickly, too. If I could have a only Coticule or an Apache Red (instead of both!), I think I would probably chose the Apache Red. Strange, but true! I have two, almost identical Apache Reds. I will measure them and take photos later.

Drawer, Keithmax, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  11. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Here they are, up against my Chosera 1K Pro, for reference (They are 6.5" x 2.25" x 0.5"). My slurry stone also got in the photo! The two Reds are identical, except for the small missing corner on one of them. If you guys want to talk more in detail about the Apaches, I am very interested in what others might have to say. We could start a new thread, much like the one currently going on Arkansas stones, or resurrect one of the older threads that someone mentioned. It might keep some good info/opinions from getting hidden and lost in this big general honing thread!

ApacheRedComparo.JPG

Drawer, Jim99, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Thanks, this is what I was wanting to hear. Resurrect the old thread, or start a new one, it's in your court.

mrchick, Kizurra, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I really can't ask for much more [​IMG]

Yankee Pot Roast in the slow cooker since 8 am

[​IMG]

Work laid out for the day

[​IMG]

Welllllll I guess it would be nice if the weather forecast said something different than Snow [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hone on gents !!!!

14. Billyfergie

Aye..Glen..That's a Scottish Summer an All..Helps Keep the Anglo Saxons South of the Border..:happy097:

Karl G, Kizurra, gssixgun and 4 others like this.
  15. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Filly 14 DT. Not real fancy, but a great razor. Arkansas soft, hard, then finished on my Arkie Black. Already had a good bevel.

IMG_0903.JPG

Drawer, Jim99, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  16. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I don't miss a thing about Idaho weather. I got frostbit more times than I care to remember. Them short summers were exactly that...too short.

I remember the first time we tried to have an Easter egg hunt. It failed miserably because the snow covered all the plastic eggs we hid the night before and when it melted the candy was ruined.

I got out and I'm staying out.

The devil and me both like the heat...just saying.

17. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Old W&B, polished down below any markings, but still works just fine!

Touched up the bevel on my soft Arkie, followed by an Apache Red, then my Purple Welsh (same mild soap and water mix that I always use on natural stones).

I have never used the Welsh before. Interested to see how it finished off the old edge. It took great will power to not follow the Welsh with my habitual finishing strokes on the Black Arkie!!

IMG_2159.JPG

Drawer, Jim99, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  18. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

the welsh slate is well suited for the Sheffield steel:happy088:think you fill find the edge very comfortable

19. DaltonGang

If it isn't up to speed, edge wise, you might go a few rounds on the Black Arkie(If its the SB Arkie).

20. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

LOL. Yep. I sometimes wonder if stropping is perhaps a waste of time after a good finishing session on an SB or Butterscotch Arkie!