What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

i'm lucky I still have my earlobes

Kizurra, mrchick, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Worked on two SE blades, a Rolls wedge and a Henkles Rapide hollow ground. I offered to tune them up for anther member after he mentioned he hadn't gotten his Rolls quite right. Since my Rolls wedge was one of the easiest hones I have ever done, I assumed I was good at it. After taking over an hour to set the bevel on the Rolls I realized I was wrong. Used a Naniwia 1, 3, 5, and 8k progression, and finished on a suspected Charnley Forest hone with slurry.
    IMG_6548.jpg

3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

ti.jpg Thiers-Issard Spartacus 5/8 Needed a touch up .Used a Belgian Couticle .Than 60 Laps on a Escher .Test shave went great BBS in two passes .Blade felt real smooth .:happy036:

4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Nothin' crazy. A W&B FBU (sold, so honed on the way out the door) and an Iberia 14. Naniwa SS thru 12K and finished on an SG20K.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Two honed today.
    This one was a little difficult. I liked the looks of it, and rolled the dice for $12.50. It had some serious pitting, all over, and the scales looked chewed up.
    So, a lot of sanding was done, on the entire blade, and scales. The scales say "The Old English Razor", but I couldn't find a way to color them in, yet, after the sanding. The pitting on the blade was extensive, and I got out what I could tolerate.
    I did my usual honing, with the Welsh Slates and the SB Arkie.

Razor- M.J.Higgins, Sheffield 11/16th inch
    Very nice and sharp edge, that came on fast. I just hope the steel isn't too soft.

Before:
    P7111067.JPG
    P7111068.JPG

After:
    P7131075.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Kizurra, TheFiveO, George X and 6 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

This is my second Hone and restore of the day.
    This one was a no brainer, at $10.

Same as above, just not the extensive pitting.
    This took a very very sharp edge.

Razor- Union Razor Cutlery Co. Union City, GA. 13/16th inch.

Before:

[​IMG]

After
    P7131074.JPG

Kizurra, TheFiveO, George X and 6 others like this.
  7. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Very nice @DaltonGang the razor you honed up for me a while back still has a nice edge to it! Great to read your daily progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DaltonGang

Thanks, I'm glad the razor is still holding up.

It's good to see you posting again. I was wondering what happened to you.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  9. Heljestrand23

Well, I'm a beer salesman at the largest lake in Missouri. During the spring and summer it's hard to tie me down. I found my way back to the forums this week when I found these on the cheap. IMG_7148.JPG

10. DaltonGang

Two sweet razors. I've yet to acquire one of those.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  11. Heljestrand23

With your collection, I'm dumbfounded that you haven't yet acquired a Red Imp?? :)

Kizurra, mrchick, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

They just seem too popular with others, when I start to bid on them. Oh well, in due time.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I acquired a "Scott Dalton special". A Robeson for less than a 10 spot:). It cleaned up really nice, with the exception of the small chip in the tip with the Dremel :angry032: Starting with the Norton 1k, took some time due to my sloppy polishing. Went to the 4/8k, 1um lapping film and finally on the trans Arkie. This was tree topping hair off the 1k. Test drive Sunday morning:)

IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1043.JPG

14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hmmmmmmm Honing razors and watching a Milla baby Marathon

Can it get any better ???

I don't think so [​IMG]:p

[​IMG]

15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Rolls Blade is a Full Hollow Grind with a Sorta Wedge Design..One Layer of Tape & they Should Be Bevel Set in 5/10 Min or So..I have Never Seen a Duffer or Seen Another Blade as Near Perfect Ground as a Rolls Blade..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

16. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

After a partial restore on my new Bengall, I lightly polished up and honed this old Kinsfolk "Wedge" razor. It's see lots of life so two level of tape almost weren't enough. It needs more work, but it's shave worthy.

[​IMG]

Kizurra, Keithmax, gssixgun and 5 others like this.
  17. Billyfergie

[​IMG] Got this NOS C . Myers & Sons Sheffield 6/8th in the Post Today for Turning Over..I Have One of these in My Collection as Well as a Kropp that was Made by the Same Company..These Razors are Amongst the Best of the Best of that Production Era..Out Shave Any Wade & Butcher I have ever Came Across..:D

Honed on My Naniwa Super Stone Progression..16 K Lapping Film & Finished on the Arkie..Man..Sharp & Smooth as Butter..If You Hit a Sheffield Blade Right on the Money Button on an Arkie what a Wonderful Shaving Edge..The Edge of the Blade is like a Ghost..:)

Kizurra, Keithmax, George X and 4 others like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice to see I'm not alone in wrapping up the Arkie, following lapping film:)

19. Billyfergie

Well..For Me at Least I Always Plonk Down an Edge on a Finisher as Close as I Want it Finished..I Don't Want to Stick Down Say an 8 K Cause it Will Slurry..I Don't Want to Train My Finishing Stones to Slurry..:)

20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    A few interesting ones from the last couple of days

I haven't ever seen this one outta Sheffield before, but I finished it on my Coti using the "Smashed Slurry Technique" really nice outcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A beautiful Hayashi "Molydern Steel" took some time on the Chosera 1k Pro to get the bevel smooth and even but the edge after the Nakayama was simply awesome

[​IMG]

Dovo Inox, with the beginning of a Heel Hook, fixed the heel on my DMT325 set the bevel the finally finished on some Basenite/LydianTouchstones
    (Be careful shopping for these, some are stupidly expensive)
    Disclosure: I have both of these in for testing and did NOT pay for either, been doing quite a few Dovo's on them since I know the razors so well I can judge the hones... Nice Burnishing action

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Switched from the old Naniwa Chosera 1k to the New Naniwa Pro 1k this week

I see nor feel any difference at all so far, same messy green monster that does it's job so well [​IMG]

Hone On Gents !!!