What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :git:

Billy..:chores016:

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

DSC_0753.JPG DSC_0754.JPG
    I honed this Leresche Frameback last week and it was sent off to its new owner, and was very happy with the edge (just received feedback yesterday of his first shave,) it was sent to Holland hence the colour scheme.
    This was finished on me new SG20k.

Kizurra, Karl G, dangermouse and 5 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a beauty. Nice scales. :happy088::happy088:

Kizurra, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

My Tan o Shanter was hone of the day for me today.

Honed up this George Butler Cavendish. And I kept getting a micro chip in the same place at the toe, so a light slurry on this stone sorted that out.

So glad I have it as it works very well for me.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kizurra, Karl G, dangermouse and 6 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Snazzy Scales. :happy088::happy088::happy088:

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Thanks, sadly this one is not for either, the white streaked horn does look great,

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Razor: Hart Steel 7/8 grind 3/4
    Strop: Tim Miller
    Brush: 30DC LE
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Barrister and Man
    AS: Speick
    Scent: Old Spice
    ID - 1.jpeg

Kizurra, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The Cattarungus I honed last week, was close, but not quite there. Decided to go back to bevel set with a Naniwia 1k, then use a pure Arkie progression. Washita, Soft, Hard, Surgical Black, Un-burnished Translucent, Burnished Norton Translucent. The edge under magnification looks different than I get from the synthetics, but it gave me a very comfortable shave.
    IMG_7387.jpg

Kizurra, Karl G, George X and 4 others like this.
  9. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Mate, that's a page three stunner!

10. dangermouse

OMG that's really nice, Dean. I love this one. That chrome and black spacer is stunning with the dark handle. What's the handle made from?

Kizurra, Karl G, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

It's actually aircraft grade titanium and not aluminium. I wish I used aluminium as the ti is a bit of an arse to work with in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kizurra, Karl G, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

All of them. I've never had a razor professionally honed.

Kizurra, Karl G, alpla444 and 3 others like this.
  13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

DSC_0792.JPG DSC_0794.JPG DSC_0787.JPG DSC_0788.JPG

A couple I managed to throw across the hones at the weekend, 1st up was a Joseph Rodgers Military issue razor, hence the H.M.GOVT stamped on the reverse, I have a couple of these lovely razors one is also stamped 1943, so I would guess WWII surgical use with the all metal scales, it was not that bad to save with (Im saying that due to the imbalance due to the heavier scales)
    2nd up was this W&B I fully restored, my first ever W&B crazy when I have been using a straight since 2010, a nice shave also

Kizurra, Karl G, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

A couple of beauties. :happy088::happy088:

15. DaltonGang

Several honed tonight.

First up is an early 1900's razor, that used disposable blades, a "Universal" by L.F. & Co. , made in New Britain Conn.

I was given the razor, by @Morman Bridge , but the blade that was in it, was beyond use. Later, @mrchick donated a spare blade he had, with little use on it. Thanks guys.
    I started by using one layer of tape. I looked at the edge, under 60x loupe. It was very jagged. Not good. So I gound the edge down, until it was smooth. This took quite a bit off. It took a while on the King 800 grit stone, to bring up a bevel. These blades werent meant to be hone. Just stropped and tossed. The original bevel was kind of a hollow grind, towards the edge. I then took to to the King 1k, unknown 3k, Welsh Slate Stones 8k 12k 15k, then the Arkie Surgical Black. Then some stropping. It is now a hair popper, all the way down the edge.

PA101238.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Kizurra, Karl G, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

This ones for @Jayaruh .

Joseph Elliot, Fine Silver Steel. Near Full Wedge.
    This one had been honed recently, but the heel was very dull, about 1/2 inch of it. The toe, under the 60x had a bad chip in it. I did notice that it had a very large bevel, so I used 2 layers of tape. The chip was taken out easily, and only required a little extra attention on the stone.
    King 1k, ??? 3k/5k, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones, and the Arkie Surgical Black Progression ston. A little stropping after, brought it to a super sharp edge, popping baby fine hairs, down the edge. I do like this razor. Big, chunky wedge.

PA101243.JPG

Kizurra, George X, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Two going to @Stu929 , one is for @Infantry23 .

The Dubl Duck. Hmmm, where do I start. Well, the blades edge looked like a roller coaster, and had to be straightened, before it hit the stones. This brought up some long work on the bevel stones. Halfway into the stones, I had to stop. The blade was so loose in the scales, that it flopped around, making it difficult, and I knew dangerous, once I got to the strop. It would also overlap, almost the entire blade, on either side of the scales. Someone had pounded on the pivot pin, in the past, and mashed it good. So, I lightly tapped on the pin, to tighten it some. It now functions, but if not careful, it will touch the toe end to the scale, on one side. Re-pinning is in order, for the future owner, unless he pays close attention to closing it, each time.
    King 800, 1k. ??? 3k/5k. Welsh Slate Stones 8k 12k 15k. Arkie Surgical Black Progression stone. Then some strop work.
    It is now shave ready, and good to go.

PA101239.JPG

Joseph Rodgers & Sons. Hollow Ground

This one was dull, all the way around. No biggie, but it also had a couple of small nicks, at the toe end. This required some time on the bevel setters to correct, but it didn't take long.
    Same stones as the razor above. Hair popping down the edge.

PA101242.JPG

Kizurra, George X, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  18. dangermouse

An early shavette. It's quite unusual and very nice.

Kizurra, Karl G, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

No, not really a shavette, more like an old French Frameback, with interchangeable blades. Except this thing wasn't meant for honing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Kizurra, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

A nice afternoon watching football and honing razors
    SRD Gold Bug
    Wade and Butcher
    Craftsman
    [​IMG]

Kizurra, George X, Karl G and 3 others like this.