What was your first shave like with a Doube Edge Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thanks Andrew. I have been holding such that only the weight of the blade is there. No additional pressure from me. I have sensitive skin and the last thing I need is to be irritated. So far, no irritation and the pressure has been light. Holding the blade angle has be relatively easy. It reminds me of the 9 years of playing violin in my youth. Odd how that skill now comes in handy for shaving! Finding the angle has been easy too as far as I can tell. Exactly as you describe I can 'feel' when the razor is in the right angle and cutting. I do not feel any pulling/tugging though. If I experience the bumpy sensation, I will try to see if a slight change in angle 'pulls some more Velcro' or do I just remain a little stubbly.

I think I should move any further questions to the Feb 2017 Rules thread.

Thanks again for the advice.

Frank

2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

My first was a Gillette ball-end OLD type that had been my fathers, loaded with a German Wilkinson Sword blade that I seem to remember was his favorite.

It was the best shave I had ever had in my life! Super smooth, close shave, no weepers or irritation, and with Barbasol canned goo!

I still use that razor and it still gives fantastic shaves every time, but no more Barbasol.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My first DE wet shave was with a 1967 super speed, Maca Root shave cream, Walmart Wilkinson Sword DE blade, and Van der Hagen boar brush.

I don't remember much of the shave itself, except that I went slowly and I never touched my Mach 3 razor again.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take everything you hear about blades being good, bad, even so-so, and bin it. You gotta ask your face what blade is working. Those VDH blades may be just the thing you're face is looking for. So go ahead, pop one in, take a swipe, and ask your face.

DesertTime and Mbg75 like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    VdH blades are just rebranded Merkur blades. The "ice-tempering" process is unique to both brands of blades, and is a dead giveaway that they are more or less the same blade.

6. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

The 34C was also my first razor. I'm one of those people that reads reviews and researches a lot before I purchase something. I was watching some YouTube videos on wet shaving and almost everyone said the 34C was a good beginner razor. So I ordered it. When I got it I was really nervous because I had shaved with cartridges my whole life (32 years) and always assumed that there was a big learning curve on using them. My first shave with it was pretty decent. But it took a month to get really good with it. I use an R41 now for almost every shave, but I still pull out the 34C every once in a while.

7. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I had a Gillette old, in my cabinet and sick of the carts getting clogged all the time with hair, I went out and bought Gillette blades. That was the only brand available. I watched a few Mantic 59 videos and I gave it a try. It was better than expected and I got hooked. Never looked back.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My first DE shave was with a Parker 29L and a Shark blade. I lathered my legs up with the soap I make & got a good shave. Maybe 1 little nick, but the smoothest legs I have ever had, up to that point.

9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Sharper blade is needed. I have the very same problem with some dull blades, like Derby, Dorco and Sharp. If you add pressure to compensate for too dull blade, irritation will follow in the long run. There is nothing more important than to avoid pressure.

When your sample pack comes, pay especially attention to Feather, KAI, Rapira (all variants) and maybe also Sputnik. If you require more sharp blades, there is a big chance you will find your goto blade among them. A good blade should not tug or pull anything in the whiskers.

10. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

My first DE shave was with a Utopia Care long handle razor and a Derby blade. From what I can remember, the shave was good. I did not cut myself or anything. I'm sure I made tons of mistakes given that my technique was non existent. I'm also sure that if I got that same shave tonight, I would deem it unacceptable.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Haven't the foggiest. It musta been about 45 years ago, and the '70s are a bit fuzzy. If I had to make a guess, it would have been a can of Gillette Foamy and my old man's black-handled Super Speed.

12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It was the early 60's using a Gillette adjustable (a Fatboy, I think) and a Wilkinson Sword blade. Lathered with Old Spice and an Old Spice brush. I don't remember a lot of blood -- not for my first shave at least.