What was your learning curve?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by TheManWithNoName, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

That seems to be a recurring theme here—sticking with one razor (and blade, brush, and soap, too). Thanks for your reply and advice, Ceferguson.

AGHisBBS and Ceferguson like this.
  2. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

After a few months definitely try different razors but it helps in the beginning to learn one razor while you play with different brushes, soaps etc. last year I tried 5 different razors and lots of brushes this year I will try yo work on different razor blades more. Good luck

AGHisBBS and TheManWithNoName like this.
  3. TheManWithNoName

Well, for me, using only one razor won't be a problem; I only have one. But limiting myself to one blade, soap (or cream), or brush will be a little more difficult. Currently, I'm kind of enjoying the experimenting process of using various products. How important do you think it is to limit myself to the same product of everything else while I'm learning how to wet shave with a DE safety razor?

AGHisBBS and Ceferguson like this.
  4. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

If you don't have fun what use is it. I would stick with one razor and if you want to try different brushes and soaps go a head. The single razor will help the most in the beginning. I can tell you from a some what newbie (wet shaving 2 years now) trying different things is what made shaving fun again for me. Now I can tell you there is very little difference between many of the products like brushes and soaps. but no one can really tell you that it is something you need to discover on your own.

5. TheManWithNoName

Thanks for your insight here, Ceferguson. I know all of the variables (razor, blade, soap, etc.) make a difference, but it also makes sense that the razor is probably the biggest factor (to a newbie). Getting used to the weight and proper angle to use it seems like those would be the things most important to get used to.

I've definitely been enjoying the whole process of the wet shave and learning how to execute it properly—even if I have been struggling with it at times. Thanks again for your reply and advice, Ceferguson. This is really helpful. :)

Ceferguson and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

Ceferguson and TheManWithNoName like this.
  7. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

Just came together after 100 shaves, whala, was just amazingly around the time it all of a sudden happened. Looked at videos, trial and error on technique, saved the ones that worked for me, forgot the rest, everyone is different in beard growth etc., learned good honing techniques, usually by Lynn Abrahams on YouTube, ruined a couple cheaper strops, while learning proper stropping methods, pressure etc., my learning curve started from fresh new comer, to not being afraid of the blade on the face and neck, (but always using respect for it), asking questions, applying what I had learned, to put me here where I am now, feeling very comfortable with straight razor use, but always open to suggestion, and learning (humility) in this art of shaving.:signs001: for this forum.

TheManWithNoName and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Used a DE Rocket exclusively with whatever blades available in the drug store from about 1994 to until 2014...then I found this site trying to learn what my rocket was (i only knew it as a "butterfly razor"). Now I realize I'm still honing my skills with the rocket even after 2 decades, though she doesn't come out to play as often post RAD. She's happy to have friends, be so loved and on display prominantly on the shelf now opposed to a tool in my drawer. What works for me best is post shower, hot lather whisked up w/a brush with a good back bone and any Gillette in my collection. YMMV.

TheManWithNoName and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I found the longest learning curve was with the Gem OCMM and to a lesser extent the Clog-Pruf. Not for the new shaver. Once I was able to dial in the many parameters I now enjoy the weeperless weekend shaves. I've made this my post shower razor. The hot shower softened the beard making for a smoother, no pulling or tugging shave. Mon-Fri shave in evening but will try hot towel or pre-shave formulas in aid in beard softening. Graying beards are touch to cut.