What would you consider "Must-Haves"?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PalmettoDuckhunter, Aug 6, 2008.

1. PalmettoDuckhunter

PalmettoDuckhunter New Member

A quick, but decidedly provocative question, if you please.

If you were interested in starting a modest collection of safety razors, what do you consider to be in the "Must-Have" core of this collection? SWMBO just rolled her eyes and muttered something about "Here he goes again!" :eek:

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Mr. Tadashi

Mr. Tadashi Member

For me, the absolute bare minium is the Merkur HD.(I perfer Merkur's over Gillette, and it is the only DE I use.)
    And a progress(for an adjustable)

But including Gillette's the super speed and slim adj's are ones that I would also go after.

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Merkur HD
    Edwin Jagger Chatsworth
    Slim Adjustable

If you get those, you have what you need..
    If you want more..

Merkur Progress
    Schick Krona

Thats about what you need.. IMHO

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Then you must have one of these:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or these:
    [​IMG]

Good German steel, baby! :D

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Youre missing a Progress :D

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Andy,

I really like these, but my DE collection and knowledge is pretty limited....:o

Merkur Slant
    Merkur 38C

the only Merkurs I have bought so far.....:o

Gillette 40's SS
    Gillette FatBoy ........I really didn't like the Slim though :confused:

I have a EJ Georgian razor that I really like too :cool:

Neale

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I know, and a Futur. This is still a work in progress. ;)

8. Will

Will Nevermind

1. Merkur HD

2. Gillette 1940's Super Speed

3. Gillette Adjustable (Slim)

9. PalmettoDuckhunter

Thank you, folks - I have owned a Merkur HD and Futur for a number of years - I shave with one or the other of them every day, so I guess my question should have been a bit more specific. I was actually asking brands and models of somewhat older models of safety razors.

Thanks again.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would say an English Gillette is a must have. Some of my favorites.

11. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

A must have is a Gem/Ever-ready 1940 or earlier or Kampfe Brothers lather catcher style.

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Agreed....but:
    I would replace #1 with a Slant

Now you have 3 razors that will go from mild to wild in no time flat !
    Thats all you really need.

Dial "9" BABY !!

13. Hi Andy,
    Welcome to this place, and get used to those eyes rolling back in your wife's head every now and then.....heh. With any luck, she'll only tease you a little, (and with good reason). Tell her it could be worse..........you could be a timepiece collector. Now THAT can get ugly in a hurry, cash wise. If I knew you better I'd call you a sick, compulsive person, and I'd also say you should fit in nicely here if that's the case.........
    Andy? You wanna collect those razors to shave with, or just to have? I mean, are you possibly planning on using those 'must have' razors in your rotation, or just to display (and maybe touch a little......heh). You're gonna have probably half a dozen or more good recommendations, but it doesn't mean they'll all fit your face right.
    Definitely buy many different models, since that's the only way to find the perfect one(s). Oh..... I bet Mrs Andy liked that idea a lot......heh. But as far as using all those beautiful looking razors and getting great shaves with all of em..............ain't gonna happen.
    Trial and error's the name of this game, and I don't keep razors that don't perform for me as I like. I'd rather someone else get better use outta those. As a result, my rotation consists of exactly one razor........the model that I found after lots of that T&E thing. Only get one shave a day.......sigh.
    Now.....as far as collecting them goes...............maybe I have a few beautiful looking razors I know I'll never use, but love to look at em. That's all I'll say on that. Hehe, I'd bet a few members have razors like that also.
    Anyway............good luck on your shaving journey,
    Martin

14. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Everything!

15. PalmettoDuckhunter

Well now, Martin -

Sick??? Compulsive??? Who?? ME?? :happy102 You're on the right track. You've got to be a bit of that to be jump out of perfectly good airplanes, or chase daffy duck on mornings sane people stay in bed...... but I digress.

Actually I'm interested in a little of both working, usable razors and those to play touchy-feely with (and scratch my head and ask why anyone would put this to their face).

Thanks for the humor - I needed a grin this evening.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

There is a guy with his head on straight! That is what I like to see! :happy102

17. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

You cant just collect random razors. I mean, if your going to "collect", than you have to collect them all. Or maybe narrow it down. TTOs? 3pc? Gold? modern? vintage? NOS? Theres so many options out there. You should probably just start buying 20 razor lots on the bay and figuring it all out from there. Of course you need all the hard to find impossible razors. How about brushes though? Simpsons are popular to collect. Maybe Plisson? I havent seen to many people collecting them. Better get to it!

18. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

The only two DE's I really *need* are

Merkur 23c (Classic Long Handle)

Merkur 34c (Heavy Duty)

Either of those have always been my top recommendation. I'm not giving up my Trumper Warwick anytime soon though ;)

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'm not sure what your definition of "modest" is, but I like to think that I have established a fairly decent foundation for my collection. :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

at this point, nothing. i have a nice collection of GEMs and EVER READYs that im pretty content with. in the past few weeks ive acquired a 1903 and 1905 gillette double ring and a 1910 old type. the newest razor i use (and i dont even use it that often) is a 1938 gillette senator.....more for you guys ;)