What would you say the condition or this razor is?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by kagoshimachris, Jun 5, 2009.

1. kagoshimachris

kagoshimachris New Member

Hello folks,

I'm trying to get an idea of what condition you would say this razor is. It's a #21 Gillette Aristocrat. It's British make.

You can see the razor here at thegreateststuff.naruhodo-eigo.com

Thanks

Bill

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Bill!

The razor looks to be in fair/okay condition, I guess. I'm seeing a lot of scratches, some wear to the finish, and a dent possibly on the bottom of the handle, as if the razor was dropped or something.

3. kagoshimachris

Thank you very much for your comment Queen of Blades. I bought this shaver off of someone who is also a member of these forums. He listed it as being in "very nice condition."

4. Queen of Blades

Guess I should add that my inexperienced eye felt the pictures may have been a bit close, possibly macros. Not sure what most razors, new or vintage, would look like under that condition.

5. Queen of Blades

Also, please be advised that if you have an issue with whomever you bought the razor from, that you need to take it up with the seller in private.

And Ebay and/or Paypal offer you protection, if it comes to that.

6. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Most sellers here (at least the regulars), usually will let you return it if you do not think its as listed.

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

Well, I can't speak to the condition of the razor, but hello from Yamaguchi-ken!

How's the weather down there?

8. Hi there Bill, and welcome to this place. I'm glad you finally decided to post after lurking a while. Heh, I didn't post anything for the first five months after joining, and only then because JoAnna and Sparky tricked me into it! That story is for another time, but I'm just saying I have no problem with you waiting this long.

Heh, you might have worded that question a little differently, and received some different replies as well. Mentioning right away that this was a BST problem with another member might have been better.

Believe me, I would love to know if a seller is providing something that's other than being represented....all of us would like that info. There have been a few problems in the past, even though many members try and keep that from happening. I imagine there have also been complaints that may not have been justified, although none come to mind at the moment.

The thing is..........there's two sides to every story, and it's not right to judge things without all the info being out there. You may or may not have a valid gripe with the seller, but the forum isn't the place to hash things out between you two. It's nothing against you, but pissing contests and accusations are best done in private. No, I'm not saying that would happen in this case, but it can. Heh, I've been tempted to go that route myself a few times over the years(and might have), but I was able to privately resolve things with the problem sellers.

If you did things through Paypal, it's easy to dispute the deal. That's a last result of course, but a good option if needed. First, I'd ask the seller for my cash back, and see what he says. Maybe you get a refund and that does the trick. Maybe you reach a compromise of sorts...I don't know. Heh, you can ask Island Brian about the 'adjustment' he got from a lovely seller(who has since retired).

I didn't see the actual advertisement, or any pics that were available, so I'm kinda in the dark here. Sure, I'd like to know who the seller is......maybe it's someone with a history one way or the other. NO, don't mention who the person is......seriously, that would be bad. Did you look at his previous posts, or iTrader feedback, or when he joined here?

Anyway, if you can't get this resolved privately.....well, that's a touchy subject. I would suggest getting the mods involved if that fails, which is probably your best bet. We really don't know you as yet, since there's only the couple posts to go on. Keep in mind that it's not that I don't believe everything you said, but that there's often more than meets the eye in these situations. That's where the mods can help, since they have a good idea about the members here. If this is a seller who's been a problem in the past, they'll know about it.

I'd be curious as to how this ended up, and I hope it's a trouble free resolution.
    Martin

9. Queen of Blades

No. This is an Ebay bought razor. Not a BST bought razor. Get Ebay involved.

10. Hi Boss,

I must have missed the part about this being bought on Ebay. Well, if that's the case, I apologize for the wrong info. Yeah, this would not be a TSD issue.

Martin

11. Queen of Blades

No problem, Martin. It was easily missed. The only reason I know is this thread is tagged, by the OP, with Ebay Razor. And the title of the pics is Ebay razor.

12. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

13. kagoshimachris

Thanks everyone for your replies. My intent was not to air an issue between myself and another member but the seller was insistent that it was in very nice condition. I just wanted to ask to have another non-biased opinion about the condition of the razor.

@JimR It's hot and humid here. How about there? Hey being in Japan, where do you buy your shaving stuff? Online? Here the stores don't have anything.

14. Queen of Blades

No problem. My intent was to just warn you ahead of time.

These type threads have blown up before.

15. Hi Jim,

Ahhhhhh, the old Sherlock Holmes pic......that did the trick. Yeah, I'd been going about trying to figure out how I missed those points about ebay, and you helped me find the answer! Of course....... deductive reasoning is the way to go.

So, let's eliminate the obvious incorrect possibilities first, and see what we come up with. In this case, that would be me just totally missing what was posted. Yes, that's something to not even be considered when finding the problem. Heh, the idea of me actually getting anything wrong is crazy, as I'm sure you'll agree. So let's take that out of the mix.

After careful analysis, I've narrowed things down to two possible answers to this problem. I'm still not sure which one's right, but maybe that will become clear with more thinking..........

The first, and most probable answer is that the poster changed his original wording. Yes, it's very possible the ebay references were added after I'd posted my reply. I know I personally can do some editing at times, so it's a good bet that's what happened here.

The other solution to my 'misunderstanding' of his post would be not as likely, but still should be considered. It's very possible that everyone here is out to get me! Yep, it could be a conspiracy to unhinge my barely attached mind from final reaches of reality. Oh yeah, that happens all the time, even though there's lots of people who tell me it's something called paranoia. Those people are idiots, and can't see the things I see, or hear the voices that I hear. Yeah, those kinda people just don't have all the information. Sometimes visions and voices can really help someone, especially if they're constant warnings about being murdered. Hmmmmmm, that may not be the case here.........we'll see.

So thanks for that Sherlockian tip. It helped me to eliminate the impossible and concentrate on what the answer could really be.

Whew, that's a relief,
    Martin

Oh, there was one time I used a little sarcasm in this post, but it was subtle. Just wanted to mention it was there, since it's easy to misunderstand things in posts sometimes.

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Still cool, but humid indeed.

The only place I know of is Penhaligon's in Tokyo and Kyoto, and the internet. Although there is apparently a barbershop stocking Taylor's products in Kurume, Fukuoka Prefecture...

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

my apologies to you, that pic was a gentle rib at JoAnna, not you...I was feeling a bit humorous at the time (first time in weeks), but I do see how it could be mis-taken. I was not referring anything to you

18. Hi Jim,

Heh, no apology needed.....I was just being a little goofy. Those darn voices bring out the minx in me. They can be a little sarcastic at times.............

No problem at all,
    Martin