What's in Your Collection?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Michael_W, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

@gssixgun
    Been debating picking up a Pearson and Hawcroft I saw locally. It's only like a 4/8 but I believe they are close to 200 years old.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Formerly of the Baconlord collection. Lovely bit of steel.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

HAWCROFT & PEARSON
    Sheffield
    1835-1844 ("More Old Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, May 1927 p.372-374)

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So far I have found a lot of nice steel, some need some work but I have pretty much decided if I see something over 6/8 !and its affordable im going to take a long look at it. I've Only had 2 of them honed so far but I seem to find straights far more than anything else.

Frederick Reynolds 6/8
    Joseph Reynolds Cutler to their majesty
    Bengall Razor
    Joseph Elliot 9/8
    Joseph Elliot 6/8
    A well worn wedge that I can see IXL but can't make anything else out.
    Imperial Razor Co Eagle Razor 6/8
    JR Torrey 5/8
    Morley and Son Clover Brand 5/8+
    Jonathan Crookes and Sons 6/8

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Pretty darn close

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I am pretty sure the Hawcroft has been reground at some point in it's life

That Black devil spit probably goes pretty deep too, not feeling that one my friend :(

as always JMHO from what I can see from pics on a computer which is the WORST way to judge a razor :p

Spyder, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  9. DaltonGang

I was thinking the same. I was under the impression that the Blade stabilizers didn't come around until the 1890-1910's. Also, that one looks to be reground hollow. Weren't blades from that era Wedges??
    I would pass on it too, unless you needed a razor to practice on, and use as a working razor. The scales are needing some work too.

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_2182.JPG

A lot of my collection is Japanese and French razors. Here's an older image of a favorite Japanese Hayashi Diamond 8000, NOS when it arrived, sitting on the piece of karasu that finished the edge. People always seem to like this image, but it really doesn't do justice to the scales. I also collect pairs, cheaper than 7-day sets and easier to come by.

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, RezDog, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Those H Diamonds do make some nice lookin shavers! The Japanese do know their Cutlery.

Keithmax, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes they do Keith, my kitchen knives are Takedas and I have one damascus Shigefusa. Unfortunately they didn't do very well with straight razor scales with a few exceptions. All that finely crafted Swedish, Hitachi, and tamehagane steel Were usually fitted with dime-store scales on most of them! But that can be fixed without too much trouble.

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Those Hayashi Diamonds are some beauties. There are a couple of those floating around here, and I always admire them.

Keithmax, Spyder and M14Shooter like this.
  14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

If I can just learn to hone that saves me some more coin for other straights ;-)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Keithmax, Spyder and TestDepth like this.
  15. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

There is an unfortunate truth, the majority of us that learn to hone go through a period of hone acquisition disorder. In the early stages it gives you less money for razors. You have to compensate for that when graphing the curve of when you start to save money by learning to hone. I know one person that has one set of hones and has never strayed.

Keithmax, TestDepth and Spyder like this.
  16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

While I may pick up more eventually unless I stumble on a steal i don't plan on getting more than I have.. ( which is already too much!) Lol

Spyder likes this.
  17. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Unless i find a jnat lol

TestDepth and Spyder like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That's my case. Nortons 1-4-8K and 1um lapping film. i also have a couple of barber hones for touch-ups. Having an engineering background, I strive for consistent results. Only after you can repeat the results can you start improving efficiency. If you cannot get consistency, you will be throwing in more variables, which just complicates the ability to trouble shoot the failures. I can get very repeatable results from my set up. I also get very acceptable (to me) edges. Sure I think about other stones, but I always come back to the old saying; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Keithmax, RezDog and TestDepth like this.
  19. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I'm working on finding someone local as I have been able to get one honed and shaved with it but it started to tug. Also since that razor I was able to hone I tried two others and failed.

Hoping once I get with someone local I can figure out where Im going wrong.

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Trust me @Stu929 , save your pennies, and buy a very good quality 1k bevel setter. That's where 90% of the work is. I went the inexpensive King 1k route, and its always slow going with that.

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.