What's the attraction?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lionel, Dec 24, 2014.

1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. I did buy most of these 2-3 years ago and I know prices have jumped. I checked my records and I paid under $36 a piece for both my Fat Boy and Slim Adjustable. Try doing an advanced search on eBay on completed auctions to get an idea of current price/condition. Don't get discouraged as razors are like buses, "there's another one coming". You'll find your razor

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    178-bplatoon and Luziana_Geezer like this.
  2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Same here, my first razor was a hand-me-down from my dad in 1959. It was the first of several Gillette razors that culminated in the Mach 3 some years ago. I have no idea whatever happened to any of them, except to say that I was happy to learn that DE shaving was alive and well back in 2010. I am aiming to buy me a Fat Boy when I can find a good one at a price I can afford. All of the ones that I have bid on at ebay have ended up selling for more than $125.

3. Blasthoff

Blasthoff New Member

Sorry to say you are WAY off on your price estimates. Gillette Techs when new were 49 cents for nickel plate and 99 cents for gold. Some Gillette three piece comb razors in the '20's-'30's were given away free when buying shaving soap. Even in the '60's a Gillette adjustable was only a few bucks and that was with case and blades! Now, think about that when 50-60 years later they still work as good as new.

As to the topic of "germs" and vintage razors, I have to laugh every time I hear it. The razor is metal for Gods sake AND it isn't a cutting edge. Clean it, polish it a little and NEW metal is exposed. It is actually "cleaner" then a brand new razor used once and simply rinsed! Realize, that eating utensils, pots, pans and even dental and surgical instruments are ALL reused safely ALL the time.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. BJV

BJV Active Member

I bought a new Gillette Adjustable for $1.95 in 1962. In fact, they were marketed as the "Gillette 195." They were advertised on TV by John Wayne and his son, Patrick.

macaronus likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Based upon the online inflation calculator, $1.95 in 1962 would be the equivalent of purchasing a razor for $15.36 today.
    Conversely, a razor bought today (2015) for $45 would have been priced at $5.71 in 1962.

macaronus and Jim99 like this.
  6. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

BTW, sticking by what I said here. A $1.95 Adjustable in 1958 $ is $13-14 in today's $. So, the Fat Boy sells for more now than it did then. A $3-5 Adjustable in 1962 $ is $23-39 in today's $, pretty consistent with Slim prices. Both of these are razor only, no case etc, since we are just looking from a utilitarian perspective. Using BLS inflation calculator.

For the Techs, I compare them from a quality perspective as similar in quality to today's $20-40 razors. Given their original cost, or cost today, both lower than those comparable modern $20-40 razors, these Techs and Super Speed models provide great value. Buying a $15-20 very nice condition example of either, and getting just as good of a razor as a modern one going for twice as much is a no brainer. When you factor in some value for all brass construction and vintage cool factor, its even better as a value.

macaronus and Jim99 like this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like to send my new / old razors to the local shaman to have them cleansed of any bad juju the previous owner may have had. Just another step to insure safe shaving with an old razor!:shocked003:

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I think I paid the same price for my Slim, I had just turned 16, I forgot witch blades came with it. Dad gave me a brush and soap, Mom gave me one of her coffee mugs, couldn't wait till the next morning when I'd shave next to my Dad with my own razor.

macaronus likes this.