Whats the best way to try a blade/blades?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha how I'm I gonna keep them? =P

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Seriously, in your sock drawer. Just keep a little stack of wrappers in the order you like the blades, favorite one on top.

RaZorBurn123 and Omelmad like this.
  3. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Did you use that after shave before you started DE shaving? Just asking because bumps a day and a half later may be an allergic reaction to something and not razor irritation.

I'm new to shaving, but unfortunately, all too familiar with allergy issues. When I was a kid, touching certain types of grass or trees would do that to me, and sometimes the reaction came a day or two after contact.....

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  4. Omelmad

Maybe I should get another aftershave an try it out. Maybe Nivea, I've been meaning to try it. I bought Old spice, but I'm afraid to use it as I know it's gonna burn haha =P

5. Omelmad

I wasn't trying to be funny, I'm tired and it wasn't getting through to me right

6. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

7. Omelmad

Its nice knowing different wayd to try. In gonna

8. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I've been using an Astra blade for the past week everyday and it's still going strong. I love these blades.

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

What I do to try out different blades is just use one for three days in the same razor. I keep cycling through my creams and anything else, which I consider a fair test because I want a blade that's going to work with any of the creams or soaps I like.

I do 3 because the first shave on any blade I see as a 'break in' shave. It's not going to be the best, or necessarily indicative of how it works. Shave #2 is usually the best, and shave #3 is where you can tell if the blade held its own or is already going downhill. If I like shave #3, the blade is usually a keeper. A favorite is one where I liked both Shave #1 and Shave #3.

FWIW, I only keep any blade for 3 shaves. They're so inexpensive I don't see why I should keep them beyond that, as I've found that the Shave #4 and beyond are where the blades like to keep the nicks and weepers.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Good idea! I have not shaved for a couple of days because I've been moving plus I wanted my razor bumps to fade out. (I got then from using a derby)

Last shave was actually with an Astra sp, didn't get more bumps and I only used it once (I noticed the bumps from the derby blades while shaving with the Astra). I lost the blade while moving =P so I'm gonna take a new one and use it 3 times as you say.

I find myself rooting for the Astra SP blades hahaha in my mind I really want these to be my go2 blades. I don't know why =P

11. Omelmad

Had a great shave today with an Astra SP blade!