What's up with Cart users?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by subvet, Jun 7, 2016.

1. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

So, I can use something I prefer or I can buy something at the same price that I don't like and don't want just to be using a cartridge? If you have a point, I don't know what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That you should use "preference" instead of "cost".

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Love my relatively-vintage-to-modern cartridge razors.
    I'd say my two favorites are probably the Wilkinson Protector and the Wilkinson Royal - both sports great ergonomic, yet different, handles and takes some fantastic cartridges (I've never really liked the Mach 3).

4. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Oh, beg your pardon…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Just see it as a service to the readers ;)

Preference may be a very valid reason. Cost is, in many cases, easily disproved.

100 Personna twin blade cartridges go for US$ 17.50 on Amazon. What cost?

6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Assuming they'll ship here and assuming the standard shipping of app.16 USD, such a package will cost me 55 USD after customs is cleared.

That cost.

You have to account for that not everyone can buy it at the advertised price and that cost IS a factor to some of us.

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

But that's true for everything.

Is the Razorock stuff a bargain for you?
    And how much do folks in the USA pay for a Palmolive stick?
    How much do we Europeans pay for Levi's jeans?

Shipping costs will always muddle things, if you have the bad luck of being on the "wrong" continent.

Ok, so carts are cheap in the USA, very affordable in the Netherlands, and expensive in Denmark ... anymore countries I have to list? ;)

8. tuxxdk

You're missing the point.

I'm being called a ranter and a myth spreader regarding costs on carts, yet I haven't been proven wrong in it.
    I have to look at costs on how much I have to pay to get a product, not how much you or anyone else can get it for. It's not like I can wish for a product just because some random cart users feel like I'm using DE under wrongful assumptions when I over and over again have proven my reasons and choices valid.

That's my point. I feel you're evading the subject just to be right now. Tell me I'm wrong ;)

mrchick likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, you may have a point, because of high shipping costs to Denmark, but then that's true for soaps and other stuff as well. But most people in this thread (or in general) do not live in Denmark.

I think my reasoning is not wrong, because most people who rant about cartridge costs never seem to look further than Gillette Fusion cartridges. That's like saying cars are expensive but only looking at Audi and BMW.

Ok, cars are also the wrong example for Denmark, I know ...

10. tuxxdk

Cars are a very wrong example.. haha :D

I know most people don't live in Denmark here, but yet still, I do and still I'm being called out when I explain I don't use carts because they're expensive. Suddenly "everyone" assumes I can just use this and that and it's a fallacy to believe carts are expensive. Yet, that's my reality, whether I like it or not. This is a multi international forum and everyone needs to understand that's what's on your corner is not necessarily on my corner.

Aside from the very cheap BIC's, generally, I haven't seen anything besides Gillette (Lidl do have some store-brand, but those I know who've tried them didn't like them). 50 USD for 8 (!) carts of Fusion, which we're led to believe is the next best thing since sliced bread. Marketing and huge costs up front when using the product.

If only Audi and BMW were available here, then it would be my reality and I'd be _right_ in believing cars are too expensive thus I have to ride my bike. I'm not comparing bikes and cars to carts and DE's by the way.. Then you'd be wrong to fault me for believing cars are expensive, because they are - to me! So my choice of riding a bike is not made from false assumptions. And come to realize I even like the bike better.. heresy!

I do not disagree that the problem can be transferred to any product, but that's besides the point. The point was exactly that I was being told I was wrong in believing carts were expensive, yet it's been established many times now that they actually are (where I live). Again, I don't consider the Guard a valid daily alternative, simply because the DE's (to me) are vastly better.. without making the Guard bad!

As I started out by saying, I don't hate carts per se, but mostly the cost and marketing (from the big players). Had Personna Twin Blade been readily available here, I don't even think I'd known of DE in the first place (I assume they're comparable in shave quality to DE). I came to DE because of expensive carts and as an added boon, I got even better shaves. I might never have know of DE, had it not been for expensive Gillettes. I may have to send a Christmas card to P&G - they're one of the main reasons I'm not using their carts no longer. Because of their prices, and because of lack of alternatives, I was driven elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong in using carts, but for some reason, right now, it seems as there's the world of problems wrong with using DE, despite our (my?) perfectly valid reasons.

Call me thick-headed, but I do not understand.

macaronus, mrchick and Keithmax like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with you using DE razors, of course.

Just do a count of how many people use "the cost of cartridges" as a reason to discount them. And then check where they live. I bet that most of them can take advantage of the Amazon and eBay deals, so I don't see how cost would be an argument.

Yes, it seems everything in Denmark (and Norway) is expensive ... but then the wages are higher too, I believe, so that equals out the costs of living a bit.

12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

1. Carts are BORING, PLASTIC, & CLOG UP...
    2. They gave me ingrown hairs
    3. For what I was getting it was expensive
    4. Safety and straight razors are fun, take skill to use, and are collectible

5..... use whatever you feel like. I love my hobby. If you want to use a plasticky razor and it works for you then more power to ya

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

13. tuxxdk

With all this talk about Personna carts, they're definitely on my shortlist for the US trip, come future :)

macaronus likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Astra blades are rough, and Proraso is evil ;)

brit, tuxxdk and youngunn like this.
  15. tuxxdk

[​IMG]

16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

A lot of blades are rough lol... just like there are some junk carts. Soap isn't in the convo at this point since wetshaving can be with any razor. But proraso I don't have any issues with however not one of my favorites.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

They're not, I guess, because everyone is different.

I shaved with a Fatip and a Feather blade this morning. For me, that's a great combination. Others call it a paint scraper. So what is it? Good or not? Sharp and smooth, or rough and painful?

18. tuxxdk

I wish I could use my Fatip Piccolo. Granted, I have only used it two times (got it new), but man was it not a great experience. Hence I'm parting with it. Maybe I should try a Feather before I go final.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's not the razor for you.

Fatips are very much love or hate, it seems.

20. tuxxdk

Could be. But now I've spent money on it, I want to like it :)

PickledNorthern likes this.