When someone's using your photos....

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This is probably the third or fourth time I've seen a photo or photos of mine being used in ads on eBay to sell a razor. The latest was today when a seller decided it was a good idea to use one of my photos of the Rocnel DE-P in his ad.

As this has happened a few times now I reported his use of my image to eBay and sent him a message.

The conversation that followed was...bizarre.

Me:
    "Hi, if you don't mind - please remove my photo of the DE-P razor from your ad as my razor is not the one being sold.
    Thanks"

His reply:
    "Removed for now. Please provide proof that this is your razor"

..and:
    "The photo was a placeholder until I could get my own photos up. I do want proof that this is your photo."

At this point he had my photo as the 'main' photo and a number of other photos - I assume his - so the 'placeholder' argument was odd. I told him where he could find the photo - posted by me on forums.

....and then he reports me :)
    "And the photo was removed before your got your panties in a wad and "reported me". All the photos are mine. Since I took it down when you asked, you are misusing the eBay system for vindication. I will report you for misusing the eBay system. As I said, it was a placeholder.
    I don't do forums because too many people there are thin-skinned and spoiling for an argument"

I just get tired sometimes.

I'm far from a lawyer or legal expert but I would assume this would be IP/copyright related?

Anyone else had their photos used by others to sell stuff?

...it wasn't even that good a photo.....
    [​IMG]

2. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I haven't to sell stuff but I sometimes sell photography prints and used to post them on Facebook. I've seen a few of mine used in newspaper ads, and on Facebook pages, and some people who "stole" them as their own.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

There's always going to be those who are going to try to get something from the work of others. Sadly, there is little else you can do. However, I do believe those who don't do things right will end up loosing more than they gain.

Sent via mobile - Chris

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd be flattered. Might even let them use it for a fee. :)

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That is no good. What if you put a water mark or copyright info on your images?

It would never happen to me, my photography skills are subpar to be generous.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

In a way he did raise an interesting question "prove that it's your photo".
    I actually don't know I could. It was taken with my phone. It's probably deleted off my phone by now. Obviously there are no negatives.
    Unless there's some meta-data stored in the JPG file that could show the serial number of the phone or something...how could I actually prove it's mine?

More curiosity than anything as in this case he took down the photo..after reporting me for...reporting him :)

RyX, Keithmax and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For fun I took a look at the EXIF data tied to the photo..and well, there really isn't anything there that could be used a 'proof' for who took it.
    [​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Good looking pictures. I see why he or she wanted to use it, although it is still really sad.

Sent via mobile - Chris

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So do you think he found it google searching for images of it? I am pretty sure I have seen your photos just randomly looking for images. I guess I can't tell for sure, but a couple of times I have said, "Looks like DB."

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I dunno. Quite honestly I don't really care if anyone uses a photo as long as they just credit it - the problem is when they use a photo to sell a product on eBay as that razor in my photo is NOT the actual razor they are selling. As a buyer I'd feel a bit fooled as I myself do inspect photos carefully when I'm considering buying a used item..and I expect those photos to be of the actual item :)

alpla444, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I would think using a stock photo or one pulled from online to sell something is kind of crappy if you aren't upfront about it. Stock photos are usually pretty obvious, but to use someone's SOTD is pretty misleading.

Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

If you use an image host like tinypic you could prove it's yours simply by the image link. It's linked to your account.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Demidog and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

You can add a watermark. It can be added to be as translucent as you want.
    I used to use a watermark app for photos on reef aquarium site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Demidog like this.
  14. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Is there a word or phrase for when someone tries to make you look like the guilty party when they're at fault? How can he seriously say that he's going to report you essentially for reporting him? This is some kindergarten mentality.

I haven't had anyone use my images as their own but one of my photos is a top search result for a particular brand, so I'm guessing it's the same case with you and many others. This is a small community so it's not too surprising that our SOTD photos and others become top image results, and that's likely how the seller found your photo. I see your point in that it is fraudulent and it would be like using a major retailer's official photo to sell your own (possibly used) product.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

The idea is sound but they are easily removed, cropped and or erased.

Demidog likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This is why I hesitate to use photo sharing apps.While it's fun to show off your basically giving away your work. When I go to the trouble of capturing a great image it's mine, only to be printed. By me.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I think it's a good photo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sometimes humanity disappoints me. He does not even apologize when caught. He just follows it up with more lies. You may not be able to prove it is your phone but he knows it is not his photo and that he both stole it and is misrepresenting the razor he is selling.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wanker. I think that's the word you're looking for.

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That's a word I need to use more often.