When someone's using your photos....

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Jan 8, 2017.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My choice would have involved a certain orifice, but yours is good too.

2. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Watermark would go right on the image of the razor itself. If it's worth their time. Let them remove it.

3. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Water mark on a new layer that the water mark is faded just enough to see but not disrupt the image too much.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into maybe adding a subtle watermark.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The easy solution to prove that it is your photo is not to delete the original, Also turning on location tags will embed the location that the photo was taken. Any edits of the photo that you make will not have this info, but you will still have the original to prove that you own the photo. And you DO own the photo and are covered by all State and Federal copyright laws.

George X, jimjo1031 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Too bad. So sad.

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, locations can be determined by the digital photo from the camera. Amazing how much info is stored on it.

8. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Ignore the part about proof, that's just ridiculous, he knew it wasn't his photo and he's in the wrong unless he states that the photo is not of the actual item, regardless of who the photo properly belongs to. It's like asking you to prove you don't beat your wife.

9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I think its hilarious has asking you to prove that its your photo. He's basically admitting that he is using a stolen photo. Who cares if its yours or not, both of you know its not his photo and he shouldn't be using it anyway. He has a very unusual attitude.
    Sorry Darkbulb, your photography skills are just too good.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are reverse image search tools that let you upload an image. It gives as many copies posted around as it can find. They should show who was the first person to post the image.
    Too many photos to check 'em all.

Linuxguile and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

This can be a serious problem. I once had the Seattle Times, largest newspaper in the Northwest, use one of my photos. I immediately called the editor and complained. They apologized but said they found it on a "public web site". The public web site was mine. I was the director of a port authority and had posted some photos I took of a local wooden boat festival on our port web site. The festival was held on our property. They took it to promote a similar festival in Seattle. A watermark is about the only way you can try to prevent this sort of thing.

Keithmax and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Caulin

Caulin Member

I know this is a bit old. But I'm curious why you all mind so much. Not trying to step on toes, simply asking for your perspectives. I'm not a professional photographer nor is it a hobby of mine so if one of my photos were being used I would take it as a compliment, unless they were trying to sell the actual picture/rights as a profit.

13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

As a long-time ebayer and a writer, I have had both images and words stolen on many occasions. It can be very frustrating, of course...on the flip side they say that "imitation us the highest form of flattery."

The best way to protect yourself is to include a watermark or trademark that is easily identifiable. Saving pics or a backup copy never hurts either.

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

At the very least - it is intellectually dishonest and at the worst - they are making a profit off your work.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

As I grow older I'm becoming a bigger advocate of making examples of people. Because of his hypocrisy and attitude, I'd research suing him.

16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

For my landscapes (and when I used to shoot a Nikon D200), I embedded each image with *my* copyright info. And in Lightroom, I could elaborate further. I've only had this happen once, and had no problem having my image removed.

Col C likes this.
  17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have had several stolen and manufactured. I LAWYER UP ! , and a " entity " just paid me a large settlement. " You can always date someone better looking than you , You can always conquer a opponent that is bigger than you, But "You will NEVER outsmart someone who is smarter than you ". C.M.

Keithmax likes this.
  18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

@Darkbulb
    Hey man....I've ripped off some of your photos off before....But never to sell stuff....Only to show someone one of your lovely examples of Fuctional Art Masterpieces....:happy088:

You were right to call this cat on it. We have to stop deceitful advertising and misrepresentation on these action sites whenever and where ever we can....We owe it to those like us...our comrades in blades, if you will....I think the stand you took was honorable and I applaud you...:happy096:

Even I saw someone using a photo that I recognised as a friends photo and not necessarily one of mine, I would have to confront the charletan...It's these guys that give the whole auction scene a bad name!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As an interesting side note, most forums "own" any content posted by members, including pictures. This forum is one of the few that doesn't specifically mention this in the rules.

(Edit: nevermind, it does: "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.") Some forums dispense with the copyright comment.

Leisureguy is fairly well known, best known for his book, "Leisureguy's guide to wet shaving." Badger & Blade banned him for promoting his book on B&B, among other reasons, one of the reasons given was that he plagerized information posted on B&B to write his book. (True).

I've run afoul of B&B's heavy handed moderation myself, and received a warning for posting a link back to TSD. The reason given was that it duplicated content found on B&B, which it didn't, but it gives them an excuse to remove any links to anyone that doesn't pay dues to join the boy's circle jerk club. Just one of the reasons I spend very little time on B&B.

Col C and Keithmax like this.