When testing a new razor, what blades constitute the perfect sample pack for you??

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Fly2High, Feb 28, 2017.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

New DE razor I'll use a Personna Lab Blue.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Seems like most here test razors with one blade, and test blades with one razor.

Bama Samurai and Terry Williams like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have several brands of blades that work in anything I put them in. I never cared for this blade in that razor and that blade in this one. It was just never my thing. I tried to do a couple of runs of blade testing, and I could never get into it after I had found some brands that always worked. I can see why it keeps thing interesting if it's what winds your clock, I guess.

4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

That is pretty much what I do. I use my Feather AS-D2 when trying a new blade for the first time. That razor won't bite too bad if the blade is rough or super sharp. If I don't get a great shave with the blade I will try the same blade or another from the same pack in a more aggressive razor (Rockwell 6S-base5, Slim on 7 or 8, or a Gillette Old Type). Usually though I can tell if the blade will suit me with the Feather razor. If I'm testing a new razor then I pretty much always start with Gillette Silver Blues. I stick with that until I get a good feel for how it shaves. Then I might try another blade to see if it works very differently. YMMV.

5. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

When I get a new razor, I immediately put the almighty Astra Superior Stainless in and see how it shaves.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

For me, the perfect sample pack of blades to test a new razor consists of Israeli IP, Personna Lab Blue, PolSilver, Rockwell and vintage Gillette Platinum Plus, possibly followed by Voskhod, GSB, Nacet and Gillette 7 O'clock.

Why? Because I found these blades worked well enough for me in the razors I already owned that I have about 400 IPs, 200 Lab Blues and 100 each of the PolSilver, Rockwell and vintage Gillettes laid by. And I have a tuck or two of the others around here and have found they all work okay in my existing rotation too.

In other words, this "sample pack" is what I have on hand in large quantities. And if a new razor turns out to be picky enough that it won't work with at least one of the blades I already have on hand, then I can't be bothered hunting desperately for the one obscure blade that it "maybe" will work with -- assuming there is any such beast.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll take the Lords that no one else seems to like. :)