Where to find "cheap" razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by waynejitsu, Nov 2, 2010.

1. waynejitsu

waynejitsu New Member

Like, nice Gillettes, but on the cheap?
    I see people on ebay selling multiple razors and wonder where they find them. Some will have so many they sell them in "lots" of 4, 5 or more.
    Where are some places to look?
    I can not afford to pay some of the prices, $500 for Fat Boy on ebay, LOL!!
    One guy has a bunch of Fat Boys, but at $120 each, it is WAY out of my price range.
    Any info is great!!

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

While you might be able to find better deals at antique stores, flea markets, or the classifieds here at TSD; a good place to get a ceiling on what to pay (for user grade razors) is Country Joe's Collectables.

3. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

After having looked at the condition of the razors in some of these piles, my guess is prisons. :happy102

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would say that many of the razors that end up on ebay come from two places. flea markets and estate sales.

Gillette razors can be had cheaply. If you are not picky. The prices seem to fall into these categorys generally.

$$$$ Fat Boys ($25-$130)
    $$$ Super Speed ($15-$25)
    $$ Adjustable Slim ($10-$25)
    $ 3 Piece Travel Razor ($4-$150)

When you add the original case to the mix, all bets are off. I recently won what appears to be an unused 1963 Super Speed in a travel kit for $7 + Shipping.

5. waynejitsu

waynejitsu New Member

You don't happen to have one for sale, do you? :)

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    nope, my whole collection consists of two ss's and a straight razor. It used to be bigger, but I got my friend into wet shaving, then my cousin, so my S.E.D.S. is flaring up pretty bad at the moment.

Advice for you is free though!
    Don't bid on any razor until the final minute of the auction.
    Decent stuff can be had cheaply using the "buy it now" button.
    use as a search term: Gillette Safety Razor, you will have to scroll through pages of three piece razors but the occasional gem will pop up. (EDIT: by gem, I mean a nice razor on the cheap, not a GEM razor)
    I think stingraysrock has razors for sale on the cheap. $10. yep he has five left, and a quick link to them in his signature. Jeff rocks!

7. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

:D You took the words right out of my mouth!

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Flea Markets been berry berry good to me. Most recent scores are a 1960 Gillette Fatboy $3, 1960 Gillette Super Speed Flaretip, $3 and two straights (a Frederick Reynolds and a CV Haljestrand) for $5 a piece. Antique stores are also good bets sellers here typically fall in to one of two categories. Either razors (safety or straight) are just trinkets they'd like to get rid of and if possible make a buck or two on or the other extreme of that someone who thinks a very rusty razor that is almost unrestorable is worth $50. Of course the former is the easiest to deal with.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Big difference between cheap and inexpensive.

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've had good results on eBay by being patient. Counting only the classic Gillettes the OP is looking for, I've gotten good condition Super Speeds and Techs for under $10 shipped, a good condition Slim adjustable for about $13 shipped. I've also saved by buying some of those lots, and getting a bunch of good razors for under $5 each.

Of course, the sellers probably picked these up at flea markets or estate sales for around $0.50 to $2.00. If you enjoy going around to a lot of flea markets, antique stores, yard/estate/garage/tag sales yourself, and would do it anyway, then that's where to find the super low prices. Otherwise, wait for a good deal on an auction site, or cruise the classifieds here or on other shaving boards.

11. cbrenner

cbrenner Member

Thanks for the information from all. Looks like it is time to scope and snipe!

Chip

12. + 1 for stingray. I got one from him. Very nice and fast shipping!

13. gurgly

gurgly Member

You might also put out word to some of your older relatives that you are looking for safety razors. Lots of people have these lying around in perfectly good condition.

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    +1 on that. Also ask at garage sales, some people don't think to put something like a razor out for sale, but are perfectly willing to get rid of them for whatever you offer.

15. mike72

mike72 Member

Try thecopperhat.com he some good deals on some super speeds.

16. jansob

jansob New Member

Ditto on the patience on eBay...decide how much you are happy paying for a particular razor. bid that amount and don't look at it again. 9 out of 10 times you'll lose, but then one auction no one else will notice and you'll get a bargain!

Other than that, hit every garage sale, yard sale, estate sale and antique shop you can. You'll find wonderful bargains.

17. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

These Forums are a good place to buy from someone who uses them and there are no bent, corroded, or nonworking razors as happens on ebay, flea, and others. You may pay $5 or so more but remember that includes shipping.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not exactly. In most cases here on the forum, yes, everything is fine. However in any online purchasing situation caution, research, and an understanding of any potential risks is always advisable. Even on the forums.