Which Gillette?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cool Breeze, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have been combing ebay,amazon etc. for an old Gillette adjustable and there are (come to find out) many different models. Some fat some plastic some thin. Some are H1, some H2.
    Can someone who knows thease razors please set me straight? Whats the difference?
    Also is any model more aggressive than the others?
    ANY help greatly appreciated.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's a pretty broad question to answer in a single post. You could probably read through old threads for a couple months looking for the answers.

Could you describe what you're looking for in a razor? I'm sure there will be plenty of recommendations from that.

I'd say in general, the Gillettes are all on the mild to mid-aggressive end of the scale. Most aggressive would probably be one of the adjustables cranked up to 9.

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thats a start at least, thanks.
    I would like to have one of my birth year 69 , but I dont think I want a plastic handle.
    Also I most certainly DO NOT want a mild shaver.
    I hope that helps narrow it down a bit.

4. feeltheburn

That does help. I think you might want to look for a Super Adjustable. Even though the handles are black, they're not plastic. They have a coating on them that holds up fairly well. If you go with a Super Adjustable, you'd have the choice of a long or short handle and you'd be looking for an O code which you could narrow down to your birth quarter too if you wanted.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

Here's a pic showing the long-handle and short-handle together
    [​IMG]

6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Good lord, I have said it before, I'll say it again. You guys really know your stuff. thanks alot.
    The 0 code, where will it be? Is it an h1 or h2?
    So I know exactly which one I'm looking for, what is the model of the long handled one in the picture?

Jim99 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have both of the black beauty's pictured above. They're fine razors. I do enjoy the long handle (109) a tad better. Big hands.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Yea, I have bananna hands as well. I really want one of those Gillettes but I'm trying to find out the exact model number so I know which one to look for.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. feeltheburn

Here's a pic that shows the date code. And if you're looking for something a little special, Gillette made a gold-plated version just for Christmas 1969 which is what's in this pic.
    [​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  10. feeltheburn

It's just called a Super Adjustable or maybe Black Beauty but Super Adjustable is the real name.

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Super adjustable, cool. So I dont need to look for an H1 or H2 or whatever to make sure I get a 69 model?

12. feeltheburn

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thanks, now I know what to look for.

14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Very nice pic by the way

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

16. feeltheburn

17. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

"0" got it thanks

18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

20. tshusker

tshusker Member

Anyone have the length difference between the long and short handle? Just picked up one and, without a comparator, don't know if it's "long" or "short." Thanks!