Which Merker should I go with

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FanofAceVentura, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Although I prefer the shorter handle in my DEs, I like the long handle Schick M the best of my injectors.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Utopia safety razor sure looks like a Merkur 34C, although from what I read it has a 4" handle....Is the Utopia a 3 piece or 2 piece? If it's a decent razor the price certainly makes it worth trying...:)

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

The Utopia is a three piece. It's a good shaver as well

4. Chef Bill

Chef Bill Member

I have three Merkurs: the Futur, Progress, and 34C HD. I like them all, but they're very different from one another. It really comes down to personal preference. Experienced shavers should enjoy any of them. For someone who is new to DE shaving, I'd recommend the 34C.

My father gave me the Progress at least 30 years ago, and I still use it often. He bought it at an airport Hoffritz store because he forgot to pack his own razor for a business trip. He was long-time Gillette TTO man, and never liked the Merkur's two-piece format. One small thing to keep in mind when using the Progress is that there markers on the cap and baseplate which should be aligned so the adjustment scale will be calibrated properly. Putting the cap on backwards may throw off the calibration, but it won't affect the razor's shaving performance.

The Futur and Progress are adjustable, the 34C is not. Some people feel the 34C is too mild a shaver, but that isn't an issue for me. I have sensitive skin and prefer milder razors, and milder settings. I never set the Futur or Progress above 2.5 or 3. Both razors would be considered very aggressive at the highest settings.

If you like thick, short, heavily textured handles, the 34C is for you. The Progress has the thinnest handle of the three. Some owners complain that the Futur becomes slippery. I can see how they might feel that way, but it's never been much of an issue for me. It comes in a satin, chrome, and gold finish, and I think the satin (which I have) might be less slick than the others. Of the three, I like the Futur best for its size, weight, and balance. Even though I don't change settings often, I like the idea of having an adjustable razor.

All three give me a smooth, comfortable shaves. With a quality blade like a Feather, I can't get closer with any other of the 50 or so safety razors in my collection. For performance, quality and value, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

20140530_083438.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    ObiDon likes this.
  5. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

It's a great razor and the 4" knurled handle alone is worth the purchase. Very good shaver, but even if you throw the head out the bathroom window ~you still have a great handle.