Which one to start?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Junior, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Junior

Junior New Member

I recently purchased a set of vintage razors. In the lot were a Gillette SuperSpeed 1947 or 48, it doesn't have the notches for the blade dispensers, a Gillette Red Tip, and a Schick Krona. I know the Red Tip is a more aggressive razor, so I'll save that one for when I get some experience under my belt. But I can't decide if I want to try the SS or the Krona first. I plan on using only one razor for at least a month, as I want to work on my technique, and don't want to hinder results by switching razors too often, and I'll be trying a few different blades to find the one that works best for me. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

The Krona will be a tad less aggressive than the SS, but both are good choices. The SS is made better and (for me) has a better balance. Whichever way you go, look closely at the blade gap on both sides of the head before your first shave to be sure that nothing's bent or damaged. Other than that, have fun and enjoy your shaves!

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

'40's SS...as long as it's not damaged...You could do no better, IMHO...
    As a starter or your "Go To" forever...In the history of modern safety razors, probably more BBS shaves have been obtained on the Vintage SS's than anything...Those and the Techs...

4. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

put 4 number papers in a hat..go from there ;-)

5. Junior

Junior New Member

ek.310, that's what I was going to do! I think I'll try the 40's SuperSpeed first. Seems to be ok, and I like the feel of it. Can't wait for the rest of my stuff to get here, though. Thanks all for the recommendations.

6. Junior

Junior New Member

Well, I survived my first DE shave! Used the 40's Super Speed, and a Derby blade. Not the closest shave I've ever had, but not much more irritation than with my Mach 3.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

And that is shave one. Keep in mind, even if all went well, as it sounds that it did, you know relatively little. In a month from now you will actually know what you are doing and be ripping out awesome shaves daily. Also, try some different blades, not that Derbys aren't good enough, but some may work better for you in that razor than others. Try a sampler pack, it should give you enough variety to know what you like and dislike with respect to blades.

I just had my first shave with a Superspeed today and it may have been my best first shave with a razor shave I've had. Can't wait until tomorrow!

8. gobeavs

gobeavs Member

super speeds are great!

and don't forget the learning curve.

9. Mr. Scruffy

Mr. Scruffy New Member

Remember the wetshaver's mantra:

No pressure, watch your angle, go slow.

10. Junior

Junior New Member

Finally got my shave soap and brush, and WOW what a difference! I am sure that after today, I'll never go back again! Still not completely "smooth" but far less irritation, and no nicks.