Which type of Scrubbing Bubbles for cleaning razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by North Coast Viking, May 18, 2013.

1. Over the last year, I have seen several references here to the use of Scrubbing Bubbles to clean the mung off of un-maintained razors. I was at the store today, in the housewares/soap aisle, and noticed the Scrubbing Bubbles, and thought I might buy some. Then, I saw that there was a bottle with a thin paste-type solution in it, and several flavors of spray-on.

Which type works best? Putting off the purchase until I get some "wisdom" from fellow TSD'ers. Thanks! NCV

2. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Most prefer the canned foam version
    image.jpg

BigT and feeltheburn like this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

+1 on the canned foam. I use a similar foam (we don't have Scrubbing Bubbles in Denmark) from another vendor and it works easy and great. Looking at the ingredients and compared to Scrubbing Bubbles I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same stuff...

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. I think that sums it up pretty well; three votes for spray-on, none for the pasty stuff... My kind thanks to all! :signs001: NCV

6. swarden43

I set the razor (take it apart or open up the head if TTO) in a small plastic bowl, squirt on enough SB to completely cover the razor, then wait for the foam to disappear. I spray on once more to cover, wait again, then take a soft toothbrush to the razor. May have to use a toothpick for stubborn stuff in the tight spots. Rinse in hot water, wipe down with a towel, add a drop or two of light weight machine oil to the moving parts, and done.

The Scrubbing Bubbles does three things for you:
    1) Eats soap scum
    B) Disinfects
    Fourth) Leaves your razor nice and shiny

I use it on all my razors.

7. Okay, swarden, I always appreciate the voice of experience... Thanks for the how-to, and I look forward to giving this process a try. I have used a short boil to loosen the heavy gunk on newly-purchased estate sale and junk/antique shop refugees, followed by the likes of 409 and Clorox cleaning solutions and a soft brush for cleaning and sanitation, a hydrogen peroxide wash, followed by overnight in 91% isopropyl alcohol to make sure dem' bugs is dead. Not exactly a barbicide, but if something nasty can survive all that and still "get me", maybe I was just meant to suffer it, ya know? Thanks again! NCV

8. swarden43

Just be sure NOT to boil gold razors - it'll take the finish off.
    And NO to boiling razors with any plastic parts, as well, for obvious reasons.