Whisker Stretching?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Gillette_Man, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

More and more, I'm noticing that the slightly stubbly spots I feel on my face immediately after shaving, seem to disappear after my witch hazel splash and AS application. Does a DE razor stretch the whiskers during a shave? I know the theory behind multi-blade cartridges was "lift and cut" (first blade lifts, next 10 cut), so am I experiencing "lift and settle"? Anyone else notice this?

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

The DE razor itself does not do this but if you go through proper prep hair naturally extends a little bit beyond the skin and becomes more elastic/stretchy. That is why a very well prepared beard will feel softer.

Once you constrict or let it all dry it gives the illusion of the hair vanishing and getting smoother. That is why when you are shaving with a DE or straight if your face feels glass smooth during the shave you are over shaving. Sort of like a custard or chocolate chip cookie.. if it looks done in the oven it will be overdone on the plate.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks Sejanus! If nothing else, I now know that I'm doing things properly! :D

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

This is also a good way to make sure you do not stretch the skin when DE shaving, since by doing so you can REALLY over shave and get some nasty in-growns.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You know, I don't (and never did) stretch my skin when shaving -- that is unless cheek puffing and "bullfrogging" are considered stretching, but I don't get any ingrowns from doing either of these.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I never stretch my skin at all, because I can't. It absolutely tortures me to even try.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Interesting theories. Wrong, but interesting. :) I stretch every which way...it's the only way I can get a smooth shave. Never had an ingrown.

If my face doesn't feel smooth when I'm done, it isn't smooth. Period. I can add cold water, witch hazel, alum, aftershave - or gin & tonic I suppose - afterward. Doesn't matter. If it wasn't smooth when I put the razor down, it won't be smooth until the next time I shave.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I stretch my face like a game of twister. I use the same stretches as a str8.

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It seems to me, that if enough gin and tonic was involved, you wouldn't care if your face was smooth or not. :D

10. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Maybe wrong for you, but not wrong as a whole. Plus most people will tell you not stretch the skin with a DE for the above reasons I stated. Even Mantic mentions the same tip in his video series.

It is also possible you are not getting the same about of prep effects as other people do.. because I know after my prep routine and shaving my normal routine without going to glass smooth in 15 minutes post shave the hair has retreated to the point of BBS.

11. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I can take or leave stretching. I just have a problem mole that I have to work around and it helps get under the jaw line were I get a lot of stubble.

I know TMI. :)

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

early GEM razors have a bar that snaps down over the blade that stretches the skin in advance of the blade (when held at the correct angle).

13. grottolord

grottolord New Member

saftey bar stretch

as i think about it the saftey bar will stretch the skin in front of the blade as just stated, you can still stretch the skin with the off hand but maybe its overkill, when shaving with a straight stretching the skin is definitley the way to go,
    try the stretch then no stretch on one side of your face one day and change the next , see if you can notice a difference,
    Grottolrod

14. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

whisker stretching

Maybe it is whisker contraction.

I experience this in some areas where I can feel a little stubble during my shave after I have already shaved against the grain, but after I get to work I notice I can no longer feel the stubble.

Maybe it is the whiskers settling down in size - for some reason it doesn't make sense to me that the whisker itself would stretch

15. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

How ironic... I just noticed this very phenomenon on my last shave. I have a problem area right by my left ear, under my jaw. I routinely miss some whiskers there. On my last shave I could feel them right after I was done, but I had decided I wasn't going to be anal retentive and go after every single whisker (I usually do). Oddly, an hour later at work I couldn't find the same missed whiskers. I was puzzled by that, then. Not now...

16. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

And here I thought it was just wishful thinking. ;)

17. erictski

erictski Member

As was stated earlier that proper beard prep is the reason for the contraction after...the reasoning is simply...a hidrated beard hair has absorbed water...which makes it bigger...and when it dries it shrinks ever slightly...just like attaching an arrow head to a wood arrow with wet strips of leather...when they dry they are tight as hell...:D

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

ouffff, if you talk about stretching the skin, I feel funny......:sick007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.