Why A Scuttle?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Art Vandelay, Oct 8, 2010.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's the plan. It's not a noticeable seep. It may not even be seeping enough to affect the lather. All I know is that, as I said, the last two latherings with this scuttle have been a little thin. Sealing the pot may not do a durn thing. For all I know it was all my fault with the technique. At least I'll eliminate the possibility of seepage from the equation.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Exactly! :happy088

It won't hurt anything to seal it either way.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Does the lather turn out thin initially, or does it thin during the shave?

I sort of purposefully make my lather on the thick side to start because my octopus-having-a-seizure face rinsing routine tends to thin my lather when stirring the brush in the scuttle for subsequent passes, which seems to work for me just fine. I don't just rest my brush in the scuttle, I stir the lather and push it into the brush for every pass.

Anyway...if your lather starts okay, but thins later, is it possible that the tall narrow nature of the RNS is allowing a few drops of water to drip from your hands when reaching for the brush on passes 2 through infinity?

4. Lucky11453

Lucky11453 New Member

They look and work great...I am not sure why I don't have one.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I was offered a scuttle, but I just cannot see myself using one.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not happy. Two coats of poly sealed it up fine. Still had the lather thin out on me. Oh, it sure was nice and warm. Started out thick, then thinned out as it sat in the scuttle while I made the first pass. Lathering up for the second pass I noticed the lather start to thicken up as I slathered it around the face and the lather cooled off. It thinned some more in the scuttle as I made my second pass. Third lathering it did the same - thicken up as I slathered it around my face.

Yeah, warm lather is nice. But since it cooled by the time I was starting the actual pass, no big deal. I'm glad I spent only $5 to find out a scuttle just isn't something that I gotta have (right now). I'll keep it and probably use it every now and again.

7. E-mursed

E-mursed New Member

Luv the Scuttle

I have four scuttles. Some are antiques and some are recently made.

They are all awesome.

Wet shaving feels good....with a warm lather from a scuttle it is pure joy.
    My Saturday shaves are scuttle shaves. I love Saturdays....:cool:

8. TSasser

TSasser New Member

I was considering a scuttle at one time. It was going to be between the Georgetown G5 and the Dirty Bird 1.5. I then remembered I was too lazy to ever keep the thing clean and got a nice Old Spice mug.

I may still get one sometime or another just to have one.

9. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

they look nice, but way over priced. in my opinion.

10. mcat1906

mcat1906 New Member

I have a Georgetown G5 and love it, nothing like having warm lather throughout your shave. I am especially looking forward to it once winter hits. :)

11. Oscar

Oscar Member

Actually, in our age it is more like just a novelty, for we have running hot water and it is easy for us to get hot lather. But in the past, past being no running water - hot or cold - in households and when you had outhouses instead of bathrooms, the only way for you to get hot lather would be if you carried hot water from your kitchen to the outhouse. Now you are already carrying your soap, brush, razor, towel etc., add hot water to this equation and what have you got? Mess. Scuttle solves this problem. You would actually use the water in the scuttle to shave, like soak your brush, rinse your razor etc. This is how it was explained to me by a salesperson in an Art of Shaving store, which kind of makes sense too.

I couldn't agree more.

EDIT: Really freaked out when I saw the title changed to "Scuttle Master" with this post...

12. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

13. supe

supe Active Member

works great for me too!

14. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I have an oversized novelty coffee/soup mug that I warm while im in the shower. It works but Id love a scuttle.

15. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Using a scuttle is kind of a pain.. but it pays off oh so wonderfully. The restroom my brother uses dispenses SCARY hot water and filling that up and lathering rewards me with some of the most comfortable lather I could want. You can also microwave the scuttle and soak it in hot water in the sink.

16. cyb

cyb Member

Have you guys ever used an electric candle warmer to heat your mug? Recommended? No?

17. ThaDirge

ThaDirge New Member

Greetings from a newbie and comment on a scuttle...

Hey all,

Stumbled upon the site and have been perusing for about 10 minutes. Made sure there was no "introductions" thread, so I'm saying hello to all the members.

About the scuttle. I see this is an older thread but recently revived. I converted to a DE about 6 months ago. Had been using the face lathering technique with the occasional use of an over-sized cereal bowl. My results were decent, and the experience was good. "I'm saving money" I told myself. But I always longed for the nice hot lather you get at a good barber. On a whim my SO got me a scuttle (Georgetown G5) for X-mas. The first use was like...I dunno...a religious experience? Having hot lather is something that (to me) is absolutely wonderful. I always hated having the second pass be cold. I understand that these are now kind of more for show and perhaps not neccessary, but I love it. I've told her over and over it's the best gift I've received in a long, long time.

18. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

welcome to our little den. The is a intro thread in the general section under the newbie tab, If you wanted to pop over for an intro.

19. ThaDirge

ThaDirge New Member

Will do...thanks! BTW...I was a former resident of your neck of the woods...did my MS work at Murray State.....

20. sas71

sas71 Member

and if youre a visual person like me. heres a cutaway of a Georgetown pottery G5 scuttle.

[​IMG]