Why do you like using vintage razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sara-s, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have noticed that quite a few people here own and use vintage DE razors. I was wondering what is the appeal of using an old one, rather than a new one?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

To me it is not just the nostalgia factor. These were designed in the era of craftsmen in which form and function were both essential. They will hold their own with modern equivalents because they use the same blade (Double Edge or Injector) and geometry has not changed regardless of those who claim to teach the "New Math." Degrees of measure are the same for an old or new razor.

Go through some threads and read about the Gillette Slim and the Fatboy. The Sheraton, Senator, Ranger Tech, Aristocrat. The original 1904 series by Gillette. I have a floating head 1930s PAL that I rarely use because it will wear me out. It prevented me from buying an R-41 because it is an absolute beast and I don't need two beasts in the house.

Most are made with brass as the foundation and are more solid than current razors (unless you see some custom replicas made with solid brass). Plating is an issue, but that can be easily fixed if you so desire.

New razors tend to go through the flavor of the month but a classic vintage will always be a classic vintage! Besides, they don't really make them that way any more.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Great answer. Saves me the typing!

Bird Lives likes this.
  4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I agree with Steve (and Gary by default). I have gotten away from the vtg ones lately but I don't have a problem with them at all, I just don't have room for a whole bunch of razors and the new ones I have seem to agree with me better. Like Gary said though, degrees of measure are the same whether it is old or new.

I do think that the R-41 is certainly a new classic. It has single handedly cured me of RAD. Been through many vtg razors before that ever occured, in fact I wasn't sure it would ever happen.

I still have a few vtg razors ;)

Bird Lives likes this.
  5. old okie

old okie Member

I like the way they shave I like the way they look and I like to know that I am shaving with a razor that is several years older than I am and it works better than I do at (72) years of age . I use the same type of razor that I grew up watching my father use. I now have my son useing the same style razor which is much older than he is and he loves it. I have a (2) Gillette razors brass with Ball end open comb (1) short comb and (1) long comb that I rotate each month.;)

6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

When started wet shaving almost two years ago I chose to vintage razor. Like others have mentioned I like the craftsmanship of each razor.Unlike the junk plastic cartridge razors that are mass produced today. It also the history behind vintage razors, thinking about where they came from and who used them through the years. My favorites are my vintage open combs.

Smoothy, jeraldgordon and Bird Lives like this.
  7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

It didn't take me long to figure out that I prefer single edge razors, including injectors, over the double edge models and there really aren't any modern ones made so vintage was the only option.

Smoothy and Bird Lives like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like vintage razors because the Gem Open Comb Micromatic is no longer in production.

If it were still being made, I would like modern razors too.

:)

9. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Ditto to the above. There is a beauty in the craftsmanship that takes you back to an era where craftsmen produced quality products. Even the notion of serial numbering all your products as Gillette first did shows a level of connection with the finished goods not commonly found nowadays in the 'Made in China' world in which we live. While there are some nice modern razors to me they still don't have the certain something that the older one tend to have (some more than others and some being exceptions)

The history of some I own is an added bonus. The story of this one for example always makes me wonder just what happened to his widow. I have a couple of others with similar stories as well.

Smoothy, Bird Lives, Sunflake and 2 others like this.
  10. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

They don't make then like they use to! Also I love owning something that old and still works, in most cases as well as it did new!! Also made in the U.S.A. It says something to me about how well we made things when we still made things in this country.

Smoothy, Bird Lives and CyanideMetal like this.
  11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Re: mark1966's story...
    Very well done. I'm sure that he'd appreciate someone keeping his memory and his razor.

Mark1966 likes this.
  12. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

There's the nostalgia factor, taking you back to a simpler time. There's the coolnes factor, for me, of shaving with a tool that is older than I am. And there is the cost factor. Why spend $60 on a modern razor, when I can go to an antique store and pick one up for $5-$10, that will clean up nicely and shave just as well?

No modern razor has any appeal to me. I don't think I will ever buy one. I was PIF'd a Merkur 34C, and I do love it. It has become part of my normal rotation, but I don't like it any more than my Vintage razors.

Plus there is the fact that there is such a great variety of Vintage razors, and they all shave differently. As I started to try them, the collector in me took over.

13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I don't...

alpla444 likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I started out with a new Wilkinson sword to try DE shaving, but I am more fond of old razors. There is always the nostalgic factor. And it might be a reaction against the modern times of mass production and mass waste. Though vintage razors were mass produced as well as the new razors, they come from a period when craftsmanship was appreciated and needed for production as opposed to the new production robots. New products are more anonymous to me.

Lately I purchased a Rolls Razor, in great condition. I absolutely love it - and use it. And I surely will purchase more vintage razors.

Smoothy and jeraldgordon like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I do agree on the special case of the R41....That one does seem to be the new classic...;)

Personally I love the vintages for many reasons stated above....I love Injectors so as Tom said there is no other choice on them....And my 1938 Gillette Senator gives me the best closest shave of any DE I ever used....

Also I do dig shaving with tools I saw as a small child, and see just how well designed and made they really were. I love shaving with a razor like I used to watch my Pop shave with, and I see he was an excellent judge of razors, aswell as Boxing Champion Jack Demsey, ha,ha,ha...

And reguarding their beauty.....In the words of someone far wiser than I, "They can be functional Works of Art"

16. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

"They can be functional Works of Art" - that is it!

I'm not shaving, I'm creating with a functional work of art :)

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As already said the history, the quallity and the looks, i also have 2 new razor that are in my rotation that I also enjoy alot.

18. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

For me it reminds me of being a little boy watch'n dad lather up and pop a blade in his super speed and the sound the razor made as he used it. It's like dad is still around when I hear that sound so I like using the vintage razors. I also have some new ones, the R41 and the Progress. I like them as well, but the Gillettes will always remind me of dad and the young years. And then there's the .... they don't make them like they used to.

KLF, Sunflake, alpla444 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bird Lives

:signs011: too....The vintages have so much going for them.....

20. Bird Lives

Mark, thats priceless.....Thanks for sharing....You might want to give this its own thread so those that didn't catch it here can dig it...This really is moving, and does clearly show a side of this hobby; if you will; that is very real and important to many of us...