Why do you like using vintage razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sara-s, Jan 20, 2012.

1. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Lets face it, even modern razors are a result of a "mature" technology that probably peaked in the 50's and 60's. The basic razor design has been around for 100 years, and blades made today still fit the first razor that your great grandfather (grandmother) started with. The last big technological leap forward was when Wilkinson developed the ss blade in the 50's. Since then only minor changes have inched shave technology forward. "But my dad used to get nicks and cuts and lousy shaves from his old DE" . Slip in a modern blade and see how it works. Anyway, I am an "old school" kind of guy and like the challenge of learning how to get the best out of a classic tool. It is kind of fun.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Because "ergonomics" and "modern design" and "cool" are so often overrated and overdone. The ProGlide is pretty ergonomic, and does shave well for a cartridge. But it's junk...pricey junk...designed to obsolete itself within (I'm guessing) 100 cartridge reloadings when the cart retention mechanism finally blows. But it looks like what would pop out of R2-D2 if he were ever impregnated by an Giger Alien. So it's cool. It lights up and everything.

Now take the basic, classic Gillette DE design, or SE designs as well...not particularly ergonomic. No graceful, eye-pleasing aesthetics (okay, maybe on a few early models). But the straigtforward, no-nonsense functionality and unparalleled performance (with practice) more than make up for it.

Plus, they're still plentiful and relatively cheap. It's a given you could end up passing any working one on to your grandson. Try bequeathing a ProGlide in your will and see what kind of looks you'll get laying there in the box.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A what? Link to pics?

You guys really need to quit making me look for stuff to buy and park on a shelf. :)

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, rather than a link, how about just pics instead!

The center post allows for some increased gap which increases the aggressiveness. These were manufactured for Barbasol at the same time.

Quad.jpg

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've never seen one either, Gary. Thanks for posting. Do you mind explaining how it works or what makes it a floating head?

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So cool!!! Thanks for the pics. Unless someone else made the floating head, I once had what must have been an unmarked Barbasol...exact same head with a longer, fluted handle that ended in a similar nut design. Don't recall how it shaved, that was pretty early in my DE career. So this one's pretty beastly, eh?

(sorry, OP, not trying to threadjack but THIS is why we like old DEs! There's always something new)

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

Yes!

8. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

I couldn't agree more. I shave once or twice a week with vintage DE or SE razors. They hold their own and actually may have an edge (or two pun intended) over many of the newer razors!

Barry
    :)

9. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I get a sense of satisfaction bringing a well crafted, utilitarian object back to life and putting it to use again as intended, be it a razor, a pen, a camera (yes, I still shoot and develop film!). When something is made well and is perfectly serviceable in all respects, it almost seems like an insult to not let it 'live' as intended.
    ....plus, when you find a near mint '66 Gillette Slim for $4, it's hard not to bite!

I do appreciate and use quality razors, pens, cameras etc. built today and admire them equally when well designed and crafted.

Smoothy likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, New here and only been wet shaving a couple months now after using electrics for 30+ years. I don't have a modern DE (yet), however I doubt modern razor are made as tough as the old ones.
    I was going to post a pic of my grandfathers that I recovered it from the ashes of my grandmothers house after it burned down, but I'm having trouble uploading the pic I'll have to post it and my collection later. Just recently dug it out and cleaned it up (needs more work and a replate), but it shaves as good as others (all estate sell finds). It's a Gillette no idea date or model as it doesn't have a date code on it.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

13. senex

senex Member

To me the main reason I use an old razors is cost.
    I can not afford a new mid to high end razor but I can own a vintage luxury Gillette that works just as good today and has a great deal of history behind it.

An added plus is that for my beard type the old razor that someone gave up on gives me less problems and a better shave then any new razor/design.

These are my MGA ,Triumph, Morgan, Stingray etc.....cars not parked in my front yard.

14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Vintage razors just work better on my vintage face. :)

15. Adama

Adama Member

I have both vintage and modern razors in my collection. For me, I like the vintage more. One reason is the nostalgia. Secondly, I find that the Gillette Old Type works best on my face. My favorite razor is putting an Old Type head on my Cooncat Bob Bull Mastif handle. Now that is a great razor head/handle combination.

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1. One of my favorite combos too. I believe Dale/Panchango also uses the same rig.

17. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Nostalgia, quality, history are just a few terms to answer your question. For instance, I have an H. Boker straight razor that (from the best of my research tells me) was made in the late 1800's. How cool is that? Makes me wonder, who was the first owner? Was this person the only owner? How many shaves have been made with this razor? Something that old that still works as good today that it worked when it was brand new, is awe inspiring. How many times have you made the statement, "they don't make them like they used to"? As far as vintage DE razors, the only ones that I have purchased are the ones that have the twist to open or butterfly doors. Something that is as old as fifty years old and is still mechanically sound, is awe inspiring. It's like being able to peek into the minds of engineers from long ago in its design. Complex simplicity. Awesome!

Smoothy likes this.
  18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

I got into it for the cost. I picked up a SuperSpeed for $3 at an antique mall and used it for the past several years.
    Unfortunately, I lost it on a trip :( and now I am using the back up.
    A Gillette made in Jan 1920 that I got for $9 at another antiques place.
    It's kind of cool that my razor has been giving good shaves for almost 100 years.
    It's older than anyone I know....

Smoothy and jeraldgordon like this.
  19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

To me a true "vintage" razor is the caveman's sharp stone. And boy is that vintage. Think I do prefer the more modern ones lol . Seriously though, the older gillette's might be arguably the more forgiving.. at least in my mileage...

20. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Right now on the 'bay is a Wilkinson Sword 7 day razor, box, strop, all 7 blades, top-engraved with "Major Mitch Liftig". Part of the pride of ownership is being "left" something, in a round about way, by another man who took care of his tools, and took pride in his appearance.

Unfortunately, all many men today will leave is scum covered plastic, or an outdated chunk with a motherboard. Not by any means degrading the fine razors of today (or their owners), but disposability has become a social standard.

Smoothy likes this.