Why I don't rotate...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jul 7, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

.. I simply must lack the skills!

I've perfected the use of the Weber. I can shave blindfolded with carefully applied pressure and get the best shaves man has ever seen.

There's a little travel coming up, so I decided to whip out one of my smaller and lighter razors, the Star DE. In with a good blade (Voskhod) and I went to town with Arko Ice Mint, applying pressure and wielding the razor like a pro.

Shouldn't have done that. I should not have done that.

One big nick with blood gushing below left jawline, one sore ugly zit below right jawline and an upper lip with sprinkled blood dots.

It might not be as mild as I reminder. I'm BBS like seldom due to pressure, but with the above abnormalities. I guess tomorrow I'll be easing on the pressure until I've accustomed myself to that razor again :D

Amazingly, I'm not sore-skinned (apart from that zit that prop. would have been sore no matter what). But it is not what I call a great shave. I hate skin damage :-(

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My advice is stick with the razor you enjoy the most that gives you the best shaves.

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That sounds terrible. I'm thinking the pressure got ya, too.

SRNewb and Slow Joe like this.
  4. tuxxdk

That's why I've been holding on to the Weber for so long. I can use "any" DE, I just can't switch between them on a daily basis like many other do. Or perhaps it's because of my high standards for a shave. Today’s shave was better than my first DE shave and the first DE shave I considered marvellous.

Give me a few days with the Star DE, and it'll mold to my hand. But I need a few days.

Slow Joe, Mr. Shaverman and Omelmad like this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

+1. I have found my Slim is my go to razor. Granted I only use 2 but tried my Weber with a Lab. and wow not even close. I still need to use it again with a Red and decide if it is going to collect dust or be used. I have finally gotten my number 1 setup, and if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

The Weber with a Lab can give BBS. It's all about angle and pressure.

I should use my Fatboy soon... man what a shaver. Maybe I should get a Slim also.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

And I'm not totally opposed to rotating razors, but it can come at a cost if the razor requires a different approach and technique. With my DE razors, I'll rotate between the R41 and Gillette Tech— BIG difference in those razors...;)

8. BigMark

Funny thing about blades isn't it? One person loves a particular blade in a certain razor and another cannot stand it. I suppose you could buy a slim but the way I understand it is that he is the FatBoys longer and taller twin. Any wet-shaving vet correct this info if it is wrong but I think the only difference is the look, the shave I have read is the same.

Omaney likes this.
  9. BigMark

One is a vampire and the other is not.

10. tuxxdk

Shave-wise I'm also sure it's the same... but you know.. for collecting and a piece of history... :)

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like to think of the difference between the two more along these lines…

[​IMG]

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm thoroughly convinced that any time you change from one razor to another,
    (even if they are both 1955 Super Speed Flare Tips with the same date stamp for example)
    they are different razors that probably will NOT like the same blade, and will
    probably not produce good results using the same technique.
    They may be mirror images of each other, but they are NOT the same.
    Odd I know, but for me it has proven to be oh, so true.

13. tuxxdk

I know enough to not put a Viking's Sword in my vintages. Horrible shaves. But same blade sings in eg. Weber, R89 and the likes. And vice versa, the Gillette Platinum sings in my vintages, but fails in my modern.

Bristle Me likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What I do when I rotate a razor in, is to shave with it for a week or longer. Everything is so different with each razor it takes a shave or two to get back in the mix.

15. tuxxdk

I wonder if those who rotate every day, get just as great a shave as if they've used nothing else but that razor? It's oft seen one who comments on today’s shave and how great it was with only minor irritation and a little nick... so if that's great, then I can rotate too and get great shaves - alas they're not great due to the aforementioned irritation and nick :/ Not harping.. only wondering :)

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I switch it up when I feel like it. I probably, on average use a razor two times in a row before switching to something else and I always get a good, close shave.

Shaving with a DE razor is far from rocket science and once you have the fundamentals down and start to feel comfortable I dare to say you should get a good, close shave even if you switch it up day to day.

This may however be different if you switch between SE, DE and SR on a daily basis as the difference in technique may be throwing you off occasionally.

17. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I have no problem rotating, but when I have a razor/blade combo that works well I tend to stick with it. When I do rotate I will stick with the razor for a while, as in weeks or months-not days.

As the old saying goes; if it aint broke don't fix it.

Charles K and BigMark like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I rotate around 30 DEs and never get a bad shave - just some are better than others.

Omelmad likes this.
  19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I rotate my razor all the time. When I shave with one side and it fills up, I rotate it to the other side and shave with that side. And when I rinse it off I rotate it so that all hair and soap rinses off...

Bristle Me, tuxxdk, Omaney and 3 others like this.
  20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Naa, just kidding. I only have one razor so I have no idea how it feels switching. But I do admire that some of you can rotate 5,10,20,30+ razors without getting into trouble of getting bitten =P