Why Is A Safety Razor called A Heavy Piece Of Machinery?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 9, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

So, I was reading an article a few weeks ago for ArtofManliness about how to choose a safety razor and somewhere in the article it said you'll be switching from a lightweight piece of plastic (multi cartridge razor) to a heavy piece of machinery (safety razor; obviously). My question is why are they called machinery? I'm guessing because they have mechanisms on them that make the doors on the head open and close. Still, I'm not sure why.

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well..I Guess these Could be Called a Heavy Piece of Machinery..They Aint Stamped Out Plastic for Sure..:D

Billy..:chores016:

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well, they are all machines. Metal is heavier than plastic. So, most traditional safety razors are by comparison heavy machinery.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In physics parlance, the definition of "machine" is a tool or object that transmits a force, or directs the application of said force. They're playing word games with it around razors.

Example: A pry bar is a "machine" to a physicist.

AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm with my fellow Jim on this!

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Tool would probable be a better choice of words. Razors like the auto strop though could be machines with the gears and all.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I've never referred to a razor a piece of machinery, nor have I heard one called that before now. It's just someone's poor choice of words.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This is the first time I've ever heard a razor described as a piece of machinery. Adjustable razors are probably the only ones that I would call a piece of machinery, but why would I? I say adjustable, and everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I agree with @BigMike, "...poor choice of words."

BigMike, Billyfergie and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would have thought that, since this is the Art of Manliness site, this was intended to equating plastic cartridge razors to toys and safety razors to the real deal. Similar to playing with Tonka trucks to using actual heavy machinery.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agree. The article writer probably felt "machinery " was a more manly term.

Billyfergie, gorgo2 and Norcalnewb like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Could be just another fragile hipster, possibly a struggling journalism major, who hasn't actually used one but wanted to pontificate in manly fashion in an article.

PLANofMAN and Norcalnewb like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now, an electric shavers is a REAL machine (that don't work too good).

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They make a cool sound though............

MR41, gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It was just a metaphor to illustrate how a safety razor is not only more substantial than a plastic razor, but is an engineered, well made tool. Maybe to some not the most apt metaphor, but I got the point.

MR41 and COMPNOR like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

MR41 likes this.
  16. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Sounds like typical AOM. He often plays with words to hype things up to being more than they sometimes are. I read most of his blog posts and sometimes he's spot on and other times youre like, "Ok. Come on, dude."

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Agreed; a safety razor is a tool not a piece of machinery. There's a video on youtube called How To Correctly Set Your Gillette Slim Adjustable and he said you're probably putting strain on an already old piece of machinery, which is stupid talk.

18. brit

brit in a box

something like a precision instrument for the removal of overgrown hair folicals?

19. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I'm guessing the term had to fo with how a razor shave, ie plastic stuff that require pushing and pulling heavily vs. a se or de razor where the heavier razor does the work. So saying "a heavy piece of machinery is just a quaint way of saying you're going to a real razor.

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

A tool, like a DE razor, helps you to accomplish a certain task, just like a screwdriver does.

A machine, like an electric razor, takes over a task from you, just like a car does.

I guess the people who call a safety razor a machine do not like shaving. Otherwise they would call it a tool.