Why no aluminum razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Aluminum is not as cheap as Zamak, but not as expensive as Stainless Steel.

It is very workable and durable. Heck, engines are made out of the stuff.

Why has no one manufactured an all aluminum razor? Or have they and I just haven't seen them?

Solid aluminum isn't as light as you would think it would be - and there are all plastic razors out there that are VERY light and give great shaves.

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

There are a few. Take a look at Standard Razors or Above The Tie. I thought the Ikon made an aluminum razor or razor head, but I think I was wrong.

4. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Well there ya go. I suppose a Google search would have answered that as well. Sorry for the worthless thread LOL

RyX likes this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

6. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Above The Tie, Hone, and Seygus all have aluminum razors as an option.

7. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Colonial General. Mine will be shipped in January. The thing is these are all SE razors. I've been wondering why I don't recall seeing a write up about an aluminum DE. Is there any?

... to be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

there are at least 7-8 companies making aluminum razors, as expected we get reports with bunch of threads worn out around the forums. aluminum in the industry is mainly used for casings not for parts that are under friction, it wont hold up.

Demidog likes this.
  9. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh.... Thanks for the insight !

10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

That's what has concerned me. What lubrication should be used to give the stem threads longer life? Maybe some alumigoose owners can give some insight.

Don

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not worthless! Info is flowing, you got the power of a bunch of brains working on the question.
    The Bunny is aluminum!
    B-V3.1.gif

There are some vintage razors around, too.
    Gillette Blue Tip has an aluminum handle.
    SOTD 12032016.gif
    Rotbart, a German manufacture, used Aluminum for their handle, too.
    Rotbart 2.gif

12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

IKon has several aluminium heads. The X3 for instance.

AGHisBBS and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Honestly, I have a tub of Stirling lip balm that no one was using, and I use it on cap threads for all of my 3 pc. razors. It holds up to water well, doesn't stink, and actually holds to the threads quite well.

As far as lubricant, it really doesn't have to be much, or anything special. The important part is not to torque on them, because the threads stretch easily. Alumigoose (Mongoose too, but that's SS) has the right idea: the top cap is actually threaded, and a stainless stud is inserted. If the threads are damaged, you could fix it with a trip to the hardware store.

wristwatchb, danbuter, RyX and 3 others like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The entire Shavecraft line is aluminum. From mild dual combs, to two different slants, to the face peeling Tech, there is something for everyone.

I am not a huge Ikon fan, but they have done some really good things with that line, and opened up a whole segment of the market to people who dont want to, or cant spend a ton of money.

ATT is also entering the market, selling their razors for right around $80. This is a great opportunity to get a nicely machined razor.

Several SE's came out recently, the Hawk is a decent one that can be had for $25. The General is an OUTSTANDING razor that can be had for $50. In fact, they are selling some silver matte heads TODAY ONLY for $28.

I expect we will be seeing a lot more aluminum razors in the future.

15. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

Don't forget the Razorock hawk.

Demidog and danbuter like this.
  16. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

The black-tip with aluminum handle...
    [​IMG]

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

No thread is worthless around here. You generated a good discussion.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Silver Star, which was ASR, had both a brass and an aluminum razor back in the 1950s. The aluminum is one of the best three pieces I've ever used.

Carbide Mike likes this.