Wife complaining about the pores on her legs. I've got the tools but no idea on leg shaving

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by TomJ89de, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

My wife's pores on her legs are big and she has two ingrown hairs. I've been telling her for months it's the nasty disposables. She has now decided to listen and wants me to teach her how to shave. The problem is I haven't a clue with regards to leg shaving but want it to go well for her any advice for me ladies? How many passes? Grain patterns ect. Thanks in advance

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good prep is good prep. I like to use a pre-shave oil first. Then, a good brush & soap. As for the razor, I like ones with long handles, as they make it easier to reach the back of the legs. Mostly, I do one pass against the grain, as a woman's leg hair is finer than facial hair. Follow up with an alcohol-free skin lotion. I hope this helps.

IDuck, Herm2502 and TomJ89de like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife uses a Fat Handle Tech and loves it. I believe there are videos on YouTube.

TomJ89de likes this.
  4. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Thanks. I do 3 passes on my head and face so my wife's legs would of got the same treatment had it not been for your response.

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My fiance uses a Gillette old type head on a long plastic handle from a Gillette sterling with Wilkinson blades. She uses whatever soap she likes that day from my cabinet and a razorock plissoft brush. She isn't using an aftershave unless you count the hair conditioner that she rubs in and rinses off when she's done. One pass from the bottom to the top and she's done.

somewhere there is a post where I did a straight razor leg shave after a neighbor said they didn't think it was possible. I think I did armpits too.

TomJ89de and Herm2502 like this.
  6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

My daughter had the same issue! Pushing to friggen hard with worn out cartridge razors.

I have done my wife's, and both of my daughters legs for them. I concur with what @Sara-s had said. Prep is the key. I usually have the wife sit on the kitchen counter and take hot wash clothes and set them on her legs, like a hot towel at a barber. I usually use a good pre-shave oil and any number of soaps or creams I know give great lather.

I use a long handled Lady Gillette and generally go one pass against the grain pass. I will usually let the wife finish up around her knees as I feel I am always in risk of nicking her. Just take your time and use little to no pressure on the razor until you get the feel for angles and such.

I am sure your misses, and you, will love the results as the DE shaves are sooooo much smoother than any disposable.

TomJ89de and Sara-s like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I got my wife her own custom badger brush with a pink handle, a puck of TSD Victorian Rose soap, and a pink Lady Star Gillette. She uses the same blade brand I do - Astra SP. She can whip up a lather like you wouldn't believe and loves it all. One, sometimes two, ATG passes; depends on her mood, she says. Finishes up with Thayer's Rose Petal WH with aloe.

TomJ89de and Sara-s like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If she isn't comfortable with everything, all at once, start out with a few things first. Shave soap, in a stick form works well, she can just rub it on and use her hands to form a slick lather. mine uses Mystic Waters products.
    Also, a long handle razor, with rounded ends. Gillette Black Beauty, or Starburst(Lady Gillette).
    Don't push too much on her at once. When she is comfortable, get her into a nice soft brush, and a tub of good soap.

TomJ89de likes this.
  9. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I've seen some videos on how to shave for women that I believe were produced by Maggard.

TomJ89de likes this.