Will I risk hairgrowth by shaving my entire face?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tomholton1234, Aug 26, 2009.

1. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

This question sounds dumb, but i've seen most people on youtube shave kinda under and around their eyes as well as regular beard area. I think they do this to remove peach fuzz, or very light hair growth. Is it possible for thick, beard hair to grow their too if shaved? I don't see too many people looking like this:

[​IMG]

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The idea that shaving causes your hair to grow faster is a myth.

A) humans perceive change by proportion. If you go from 1 mm of hair to 3 mm of hair in a day, that is a 300% increase. On the other hand, if you already had 10 mm of hair and grew the same 2 mm, that is only a 20% increase and is not as noticeable. As a result, it just looks like your hair grows faster when you shave.

B) as guys go through puberty, hair growth accelerates. When you first start shaving it is slow and after you start shaving it may actually start growing thicker and faster. However, that is not due to shaving, it is just because you are maturing

3. rickboone

rickboone Member

Once you pass 30 you will get hair places you didn't know you had. So, it doesn't matter.

4. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

lmao, wow...

5. gone down south

gone down south New Member

You shave where you have beard growth. Some people have beards that grow up higher than yours, apparently, no big deal. <shrug>

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

For some of us, the question isn't where to stop on the top side of the shave, but on the bottom of the neck. Where does my my beard leave off and chest hair begin?

7. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

My cousin, Vinny wants the 20 bucks you owe him for using his pic ;) :D Seriously, shaving won't create hair folicles if you don't have any there to start with.

8. suprchunk

suprchunk New Member

LOL. That is great, and true. I've seen plenty that would also extend to the back. But they mostly wear speedos to the beach so you know they are proud of it.

9. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I know what you mean. Apart from the odd gray hair I am also noticing the odd hair growing out from my ears. Maybe I'll turn into Chewy one day.

10. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm :signs002

Since I passed 30 I lost hair on places I knew I had :happy102

11. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

Yeah, a fair bit of the hair on the top of my head has migrated to my nostrils.

12. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

You're not consistent in your figures there - The increase in the first case is 200% not 300% (or if you insist it's 300% the second case should be stated as 120%)

13. Benson

Benson New Member

I figure anything lower than my Adam's apple is chest hair -- women like to see a little somethin-somethin sticking out from the shirt collar, amirite?

14. Bi-Merkurious

Bi-Merkurious New Member

Well spotted, I thought it was just me confused by maths on a shaving forum.

This is one of those things that just happens to look causal but really is just a very common coincidence. Hair dramatically growing from puberty from nothing to loads, and from thin to thick. Also the need to shave.
    The appropriate control conditions are people who don't shave and decide they want to let that fuzz grow from the start. They get thicker and denser hair regardless of not shaving.
    Its funny that I hear this myth persisting about head hair as well. Have you had a friend who has shaved his head because "it will make it stronger"?

15. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I think I might tend to disagree with the majority of the posts here. I will preface my finding with this statement, that I understand that I could be the only case and I'm sure timing is everything meaning puberty and all.

I have a few tattoo's and when you get a tattoo they shave the offending area. Well on my chest over my heart I have a tat and that side is noticeably "hairier" I would say in number of hairs and girth then the other side. I also have a tattoo on the inside of my bicep and the effect is there but not nearly as noticeable as my chest tattoo. The chest tattoo I got when i was 19 or so right when the chest hair started coming in. The bicep was last year and that hair was already established. Now I'm not saying that shaving creates follicles but maybe not having hair there during the first growth times the body reacts by creating more? IDK but anyway I think the proof may be in my chest. Sorry no pictures of my chest as proof, well maybe sorry is the right word I think "you're lucky" is a better couple words there.
    I nearly forgot I've had a couple surgeries and they shave the incision spot. One recently and those area have come in thicker too. But faces maybe another thing though.
    -Christopher

16. gone down south

gone down south New Member

Surgeries and scars can physically damage or change the hair follicle, so I'm note surprised that hair growth there could change. I've never heard about tats changing hair growth, but again there's possible trauma to the follicle itself involved so it's possible.

Just shaving a hair won't cause any permanent changes though.