will it hurt my Merkur progress

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by smitty, Apr 3, 2011.

1. smitty

smitty Member

will it hurt my Merkur progress by shaving with it past the 5+ mark? the head is right and lined up. but i have worked my way all the up to where the 6 1/2 setting would be if it had 1.:D but it seems like if i back it off i get razor burn and knicks and stubble and i have tryed many diff blades or is this just going to be my number? :ashamed001 but i love shave with it in 6 1/2 and it has been there for a few months. just asking

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If it's going that far, it sounds like something is amiss inside. I can't really tell you if it'll hurt anything but I would recommend you send it to Eric, aka "Mer", and let him customize it into a "Mergress". He fine tunes the adjustment and also replaces the plastic knob with either a new same size metal knob or a new long metal knob (see pics below). Since you've your own Progress, he will charge $30 last I heard. If you were to buy the whole razor, it'd be $104 and only available when they have new batches, sold through leesrazors.com .

Progress fine tuned and customized by Mer with new short knob:
    [​IMG]

Progress fine tuned and customized by Mer with new long knob:
    [​IMG]

I've got the long knob Mergress and love it. The new knobs add nice weight to the Progress as they are solid metal.. don't know if they are steel or plated brass but they are great additions over the stock plastic knob. He will also paint the numbers and dots any color you want them instead of the standard black. His email address is ericmaier2112@gmail.com so if you're interested in improving and fine tuning your Progress, send him an email.

3. napoleon

napoleon Member

Is the top plate alligned with the mark on the bottom plate?

4. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

With the adjustment knob tightened all the way down are you starting with the marks lined up in the right position?

Mantic has a video on the Progress razor too. Sorry but I do not have the link.

Thanks for posting the email address Jody. I would love a Mergress just can't spend 100$ right now on shave gear. The 36$ modification will fit in my budget though.

5. smitty

smitty Member

yes all the marks are lined up in the right position and every thing moves fine and the top plate is alligned with the mark on the bottom plate it just shaves good with a big ole gap

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Your progress may simply may be out of calibration. It was determined a long time ago that each Progress can be slightly different with one progress's 1 being equal to a 2. It is possible that yours simply starts at a different place than others so it stops at a different place than others.
    The relevant part of the video starts at about 1:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZvMmuX_GE